LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.03 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 3 19:46:25 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.AUG.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.31 (05) [E]

Dear Gabriele:

Subject: Libraries

> Mark wrote:
>> > Don't want to discourage you, but I moved three months ago, and still
>> > don't
>> > know where all my books are...

>> Gabriele Kahn, I do wish you wouldn't say that in polite society!

> ??? Huh? Is this a figure of speech that I am not aware of with a
> suggestive
> meaning, or is ist just that, in present company, the notion of not having
> one's books handy is simply too horrible to fathom?

Exactly!

I too have recently moved. My present premises have insufficient bookshelf
space, so my books are double-parked & cartonned till I make more. Mind you,
in the packing I made reacquaintance with many that I thought I'd lost
forever---.

Just off the subject, and back on the 'Delectables' string, my grandmother
was a compulsive cook, & something of a scholar of recipes of all nations.
One of her American cookbooks, which inevitably had little use in this
country, used to give us kids fits of hystirics. Elsie might resonate to
this, with her knowledge of our Onderkaaps Mense & their annual occasions:
The recipe was for 'Imperial Ranger's 'Coon Pie'. It started with this
memorable instruction; 'Take one well-dressed coon ---'. Just what will you
do with his green velveteen clawhammer coat & top-hat?

Groete,
Mark