LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.03 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 3 22:18:37 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.AUG.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.03 (04) [A/E]

Mark wrote:
> Gabriele, everything tastes good it advokaat, & if it doesen't, it doesn't
> matter. Mind you, it's best of all if your mother made it - with stuff
your
> father distilled.

I used to make the stuff from fresh eggs from happy chickens on my farm in
Oregon... from a recipe provided by my stepfather, who was a pharmacist
(meaning, it is probably quite a bit stronger than the stuff you can buy). I
remember sending somebody I had had a crush on for years a bottle of the
stuff, labeled "Love Potion"; after that, he travelled many hundreds of
miles to get more of the stuff, and he married me six years ago just to make
sure he'd never run out... it's THAT kind of a recipe!!

Too bad I just moved and can't find it, or I'd post it here... haven't seen
it in years, actually. Maybe I should ask him how come he's still with me?
:-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Gabriele!

> Too bad I just moved and can't find it, or I'd post it here...

Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  Most of us might not be able to handle
it.  ("You want Advocaat? You can't *handle* Advocaat!" as Jack Nicholson
would say.)  Besides, some of us don't require a charm substitutes, have to
beat them off with a stick as it is.  ;-)

In the good old days they would have put you on the rack for such stunts or
done one of those floating tests with you.  Ask our Arend.  He's working on
a Low Saxon play (_Cilly Nevelhekse_, if I remember correctly) about just
such a thing.

Whenever I think of (alcoholic) eggnogg (_Eierlikör_, which is what Advocaat
is, I guess) I remember my (Sorbian-descent) grandma.  She rarely embibed
and did so only when visiting our house.  (Her war widow's pension was too
meager for her to afford it anyway.)  Advocaat was her all-time favorite.
It took only one little shot glass of it to get her into a very jolly mood,
and the stories would just be pouring out of her (much to my delight and my
dad's chagrin), while her tongue would be intermittently darting into and
about the shot glass like a snake's tongue in hopes of finding leftovers of
the precious elexir.  What a character!   (Of course, there isn't a bit of
family resemblance between her and me ... ;-) )

Kumpelmenten,