LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 4 14:40:10 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.AUG.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jean duvivier <duvassoc at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.03 (02) [E]

Regarding the German language(s), I had the following experience some years
ago. In a train from Frankfurt to Karlsruhe, I was in a compartment with
three German gentlemen. Two of them were talking Hochdeutsch on and off with
the third one and with me, but equally frequently they reversed to a
"dialect" (if I dare use that word ) that escaped me. At an intermediate
stop, they got out.
A short while later I asked the third gentleman what was going on, as I did
not understand those two. He replied :" I don't understand them either, they
speak Preussig, I am from Bavaria".
I found that hilarious.

Jean