LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 6 19:07:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.AUG.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Hi Ron,

You wrote:

> Butter tended to be a symbol or metaphor for material wealth or at
> least a comfortable life.  Apparently only well-off folks could afford
> butter or could afford it everyday.  I suppose poorer folks had
> (oftentimes rancid) lard instead, or nothing at all.

Quite so. Even lard or any other fat substance wasn't always available.
This mentality is still reflected in general Brabantish expressions like:
" 't És ni vajt zö" or " 't És ginne vajtn", which are remarks, often
said of _anything_ having poor quality. More specifically, good meat was
supposed to contain a lot of  fat. "Fat" was synonymous with "rich",
"abundant", "luxurious".

> This idea of butter being special was still alive when I was a child
> (sometime in the Dark Ages of course).  Even after the so-called West
> German "economic miracle" had started, most people had margarine most
> of the time and butter only on special occasions, perhaps on Sundays.
> We referred to butter as "good butter" (Low Saxon _goude botter_,
> German _gute Butter_), and we usually meant "margarine" when we said
> only "butter."

I was kind of surprised to read this, because my parents make exactly
the same distinction: "boter" means margarine and "goei boter" is
ordinary butter. "Goei boter" is almost never eaten, only on special
festivities (weddings, "kermis" or "jààremèt", first/solemn Communion...).

> Oh, yes!  No matter what -- there's always a story or three ... (even
> without the help of Advocaat).

Speaking of Advocaat: My mom absolutely hates to drink/eat anything
containing alcohol (even in cakes)...except Advocaat ;-) .

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx