LL-L "Orthography" 2005.08.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 12 15:27:55 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography"

Beste Ron (en andere leeglanners),

Consider the Dutch phrase:
"We moeten daar eens goed over nadenken" ("We'll have to give it some more
thought")
Using English orthography it would become:
"Wuh mooten daar is hood over nah-denken"
Rechtschreibung, German style:
"Wö muten dahr is chut over nah-denken"

OK, I know a Dutch "g" is a Dutch "g", and even the initial "h" of "huge"
doesn't come close, but in most European languages, spelling never fully
matches phonetic reality. I therefore consider spelling as a trade-off
between the spoken language and a world of pictures. Yes, pictures. Once you
know how to read a language, you don't really read words, letter by letter,
do you? Rather will you look at the whole word instantly.

Let me try Dutch orthography for my dialect now. When I write "Waele mutte
daa ne ki goe over naapaazn" (Brabantish for the sentence above); I have 3
problems: "ae" does not exist as a diphtong (you will only find it in family
names,  because in the past it used to represent long "a" in older
spelling...which is not what I want). However, if you read precisely what is
written: "ae" = "a" + consecutive "e", you do get close to the sound that
I'm trying to spell. Problem number two is "naapaazn". Even though you see
"aa" twice, they don't sound the same in reality; as the first "aa" should
be slightly higher-pitched. I could try accents, making something like
"nààpaazn", but I don't like this. First of all, because it makes reading
for foreigners a lot more difficult (and I want to treasure every single
person that is interested in my minority language) and secondly, because it
enhances what I would like to call "peculiarism" ("particularisme" in
Dutch). I don't consider it wrong at all to feel peculiar, special,
extraordinary and even proud if you know how to speak a certain dialect
well, but if this is the only reason why you would like your dialect to
survive, I think you're going to fail. At the same time, one should also
investigate the similarities between one's pet language and the standard
(power) language that is "ruling" it. And to some degree, spelling can
reflect that relationship. Bear in mind, that there are usually good reasons
why power languages have become such. Maybe not if it happened overnight,
but certainly if they have been taking charge for centuries.
My third problem is that many people will surely become confused when they
see "goe", because the pronunciation of "oe" will be unknown for them or
plain wrong.

Actually, I could write my Brabantish sentence better in English or in
German based spelling (than in Dutch), as it would become something like:
"While-le mitte daa ne key hoo over nah-paasn" and "Weile mütte da ne ki
chuh over nah-pasen" respectively.

I know that in the past in many languages, so called "taal-architecten" have
tried to rebuild/restore/renovate their language (in all kinds of ways). Who
were they adressing? Mainly other scholars. Plastic surgery for the
linguistic incrowd. In the Dutch/Belgian case, 99% of the rest of the people
were not even aware of what was happening above their heads, let alone used
their recommendations. And if they ever did get in touch with this polished
version of their native speech (court, town hall), they often mocked them,
viewing them as renegades (the other way round, too of course: considering
them boorish). Don't let me be misunderstood, I'm not trying to support or
attack any of these groups (literate/illiterate), I'm just trying to point
out that their worlds were very far apart.
On a different level: Esperanto for example never broke
through...why?...well, where's the cultural component of that
(artificial)-language?

I, for myself, have always wondered if my Brabantish would be understood by
a late medieval Brabantish person (and vice versa). Frankly, I think it
wouldn't pose any problem. The very slow evolution of dialects here shows
that a linguistic change which has not been triggered/borne by a significant
economic/cultural/social modification of society, is doomed to be of
interest only for literati. Again, I love the literary world just as much as
I love every other social niche, but too often it seems that very few people
are actually keen to grasp and accept the differing, specific linguistic
needs that some of their fellow men may have.

Moreover, given the fact that many people (all over the world) are quite
familiar with English and German spelling, this means that if you would
choose English or German orthography for Saxon, your chances of being read
(fluently) would definitely multiply.

In short, I would opt for the orthography of an existing major language,
rather than resort to a new system (that will surely be very carefully
thought-out, but probably lacking in terms of PR).

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx