LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.08.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 12 15:49:42 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Syntax

Our Ben wrote under "Syntax":

> Criostóir, I wonder if this "do do" or "do be" thing sounds too much to
> us,
> at least here in America, like a kid's word like doodoo.

This [dudu] is also used in childish language in Low Saxon and German of my
native area, and other North Germans on the List probably know it too.

It has nothing to do with "do" or with "poo" but is doubled _du_ 'you'
(actually 'thou'), and you may spell it <dudu> or <du, du>.  When you say it
you usually lift your domonant hand and wag its index finger.  This
symbolizes _Haue_ (Standard German _Schläge_), an impending 'hiding',
'beating'.  Altogether it represents a warning, something like "Behave now!
(Or …)," or "Naughty!"

Jokingly, usually accompanied by laughter, grinning or a put-on expression
of being scandalized, it may be used between adults, for instance in
response to one of them having said or done something outrageous, usually
something risqué.  It's about the equivalent of saying "You naughty
boy/girl!"