LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 17 15:43:53 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: daniel prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.11 (04) [E]

From: Paul Finlow-Bates danielprohaska at bluewin.ch
Subject: LL-L "Etymology”

Paul,

By way of comparison. The stress patterns of the older PIE languages were
compared, and corroborated against further evidence and so forth. Of course
there is a rather largish margin of error involved and there are never any
absolutes, but stress and sound changes are not isolated phenomena but are
interconnected and stress can have a great impact on the sound development
of language sounds.

Things like Verner’s Law help prove that certain assumptions for PIE stress
derived from Sanskrit and Greek were correct. Stress is assumed to have been
free in PIE (not predictable), just as it is in Sanskrit. Since Germanic
with its predictable initial stress preserves some indication of the older
PIE stress patterns (in Verner’s Law) and there is little probability of
Sanskrit and Germanic to have had a prolonged common development I believe
the assumption about PIE stress to have been free is correct, at least in
thze period before the break up of the PIE dialect continuum into separate
language “branches”.

Dan

***

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.11 (01) [E]

“How do linguists reconstruct accent or stress? sound shift I can
understand,
by comparing existing languages, but how can we tell which syllable they
emphasised in PIE times?
Paul”