LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 17 15:39:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.AUG.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.16 (05) [E]

Dear Ron,

you wrote:

> It was rural Lutheran
> preachers that infiltrated Hamburg below the radar and preached informally
> in Low Saxon.  Especially Steffen Kempe was very popular with the masses,
> in
> part because he used their language well and exposed them to the Bible in
> it.  Few of them could read it, but everyone was impressed and inspired by
> the audacity and was touched by the outreach gesture.  I don't think that
> German Bible would have done the same at the time.
In fact Luther made a very clever move with his 'Adelsschrift" in 1520. The
secular aristocracy in the past had to make the experience that the
'Kirchenfürsten' had got more and more influence by annexing landed
properties and cut the rights of everyone who could have entered into
competition. So the aristocracy, specially in the Northern German regions
saw their chances in converting to Protestantism to re-establish their old
power- and that at least really did succeed.
Already in 1524 so it could happen that the little city Otterndorf, near my
birthplace at the Elbe-estuary, had its first protestantic pastor, and even
the last Archbishop of Bremen, Friedrich III., later King of Denmark, was a
Protestant.

The evolution of these events obviously was different in Hamburg, because of
the fact that there was a very independent and mighty 'Geldadel' (another
expression was 'Pfeffersaecke'), who had made their fortunes by the Hanse,
with immeasurable influence and power not only in the local region. They
might have been afraid by any nobility overtaking their position- in the
past they had found a very good 'modus vivendi' with those catholic rulers
surrounding.

Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Thanks a lot for the extra information, Jonny.

Might this explain why for instance the senate and various merchant guilds
of Hamburg (and Bremen?) hung on to using Low Saxon for a long time longer
than other places?