LL-L "Lifestyles" 2005.08.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 19 14:48:45 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Lifestyles" 2005.08.18 (08) [E]

Yes, nowadays, everyone under sixty or so takes a daily shower here
(in the Netherlands), but only about 25-30 years ago, when I was a small
kid, I think we went to the bath tub only twice a week or so.
But that didn't mean we didn't wash ourselves, we just used a wet
washcloth and some soap to do the job.
I think very many elderly people still do it this way.
I don't remember how often we changed our clothes, but probably not so
much more often.
In the eighties, this changed, and we started to have daily showers in the
morning before going to school or work.
And that counts for everyone I know, so a silent cultural bathing
revolution must have happened in the mean time.
Not that it's so much healthier... skipping a day once in a while is much
better for the skin, and other things, but maybe not for the odor...

Ingmar Rordinkholder

>From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
>Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.18 (02) [E]
>
>I meant it litterally, people that don't wash themselves ;) Or maybe once
>month.
>
>Diederik, your post made me think of an experience that a former coworker
>had with his Dutch great-aunt. She and her husband visited their family
here
>in Arizona. They stayed for six weeks, and they took a grand total of one
>shower. He said that it was unbelievable to smell their place. He said
that
>the young people in the Netherlands know how to use bath tubs and showers,
>but he said that his great-aunt and great-uncle are in their eighties.
What

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Ron wrote in reply to our Ben Bloomgren:
"As far as I know, this bathing thing or the scarcity thereof is an old-time
thing, preserved especially among elderly rural inhabitants who didn't
change old-time ways despite modern conveniences. It is not
country-specific, though Americans (including most Latin Americans),
Canadians and Australians notice it most often with Europeans, especially
with North Europeans, that they bathe and shower less frequently."

I cannot see this applying to any Europeans who migrated to any of these
places after the 1950s, after internal bathrooms with plumbing had become
commonplace. Obviously slurs have long life spans, but I do not think it is
accurate to say that North Europeans "bathe and shower less frequently" than
Australians. In my experience there is little difference between the two
groups in relation to overall hygiene attitudes - in fact, if anything,
Northern Europeans shower more frequently than Australians in their fi! rst
few years, because of a need to cool off in what is to them a hot, sweaty
and sticky climate.

One cultural difference between North Europeans and Australians (and North
Americans) in relation to bathing I have noticed is that Australians (and
North Americans) take unnecessarily lengthy showers, usually about twenty
minutes (in the case of Australians) and half an hour (in the case of those
from the United States). (Most North Europeans I know take between five and
ten minutes). In a country as dry as Australia, this is a particularly
mindless abuse of water. But then in relation to water my experience is that
Australians do not feel they should conserve, and that to suggest otherwise
to them is an insult to the Australian way of life.

Perhaps the "pommie shower" characterisation has persisted because North
Europeans take shorter showers than dinky-di Australians - i.e., in Au!
stralian minds, short showers are associated with uncleanliness?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lifestyles

Críostóir,

I didn't say or mean to imply that there are differences *now*, was just
guessing that the folks Ben was talking about were "dinosaurs."  What Ingmar
writes above is also pretty much my experience, and I guess it's a worldwide
thing, only that some areas and people change faster than others.

I personally know a Mongolian (from "Inner" Mongolia), a few Tibetans and a
Yupik family from the Alaskan north coast, all of them in the Seattle area,
and I have been to their native environments, very harsh environments
indeed.  All of them grew up "old-style" but have totally adapted their
bathing habits to the "modern" one in this area.  If you live as a nomad on
the Mongolian or Tibetan plains, out of reach of rivers and lakes, icy winds
howling across the land most of the year, I bet you wouldn't relish the
thought of bathing very often even if there's a brook running somewhere
close by.  And this is how it is now and will be for quite some time to
come.  In most cases only urbanization with its modern facilities can change
this.

However, on the whole, I believe that most of the talk about other people's
hygienic habits is based on prejudice-laden rumors.