LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 19 15:16:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.18 (09) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

Thanks a lot, Jacqueline!

It reads delish!<

Except because I can't receive Unicode I have no idea whether it calls for
quarter / half t easpoons/tablespoons or cups!

I have one last blue plum tree still to ripen - a Majorie Seedling. I would
LOVE to try it with them.

Could one of you be an angel and type out quantities in words for me.
Thanks

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Heather,

Below please find the recipe transliterated in ASCII format.  I did it to
save our Jacqueline the work, to save you time and allow you to get busy,
also because I needed that version for my low-format, low-memory electronic
recipe book anyhow, and perhaps because I am desperate to qualify as an
angel.

I love flans, and this one sounds just great.  I might make it as a treat
for friends on my upcoming birthday.  I myself would only be able to taste
it if I had my Epinephrin syringe at the ready and called an ambulance
before the first bite.  I was practically raised on hazelnuts and almonds as
treats and have developed a potentially deadly allergy to them, can't eat
anything baked unless I know exactly that it doesn't contain those nuts and
was not in contact with them.  (I take it you feel sorry for me now.)  The
upside is that this makes it easier to maintain my lovely figure.  ;-)

Enjoy!
Reinhard/Ron

***

Bavarian Plum Flan
(makes one 9 - 10" flan pan)

15 large plump purple prune plums ( If you can't get big ones use little
ones, but use a double layer )
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (actually I prefer to add some vanilla sugar)
1/4 tsp bitter almond extract (Dr Oetker brand)
3/4 cup flour
Dash salt
1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup almonds
1 1/2 tbsp soft butter or margarine
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp flour

Wash, halve and pit plums.
In small bowl of mixer cream one third cup butter and one third cup
granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extracts.
Blend in 3/4 cup flour and salt.
Spread batter evenly in buttered 9 1/4" flan pan with removable bottom.
Arrange plums, cut side down, over surface. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons
granulated sugar.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree [F = 190 C] oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, whirl almonds in a blender or grind through fine blade of food
chopper.
Combine ground almonds with 1 tablespoon each butter, brown sugar and flour.
Sprinkle over surface of cake.
Return to oven and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cake tests
done. Remove side ring.
Keep away from kitchen marauders! Serve warm or cold. Serves 6 to 8 people.