LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.29 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 29 14:51:21 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: "jonny" <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.27 (02) [E]

Dag, Reinhard, Críostóir,

> However, note that even our Jonny has resorted to writing more
> English, and he used to be a main proponent of more linguistic diversity.

(English summary below)

Dat liggt ouk an myn Fuulheyt, wat ick mennigmol alleyn op Ingelsch schryven
dou.

Jyst sou as by Hein un Fietje.
Sey leygen beyd' in'n Gras, de Synn schyn fein von 'n Heben, un sey foyl'n
sick heel commoud.
Sey döösen sou vöör sick her, door sey Hein op mol: "Kiek, 'n Orm!" "Wat
hesst Du seggt?" froyg Fietje. Hein: "'n Orm krupt dor döör dat Gras;
süsst'
em ne?" Fietje; "Nee- ick kenn keyn 'Orm'! Wat schall dat ween?" "Och- Du
Döösbaddel, weit'st ne, wat 'n Worm is?" "Kloor kenn 'ck 'n Worm- wosou
seggt Du Snaarbüdel dor 'Orm' tou?"
Hein: "Byn tou fuul!"

It's sometimes because of me being lazy.

The same with Hein and Fietje (famous Hamburger characters).
They lay dozin in the grass, the sun shining nice, and they felt well.

Suddenly Hein said: "Look- an orm!" "What did you say?" Fietje asked. Hein:
"Any orm creeping through the grass; can't you see it?" Fietje: "No- don't
know any 'orm'. What the hell do you mean?" "Hey, you stupid fool don't know
a worm?" "Of course know a worm- why did you smarty say 'orm'?"
Hein: "Being just too lazy!"

(The original version I was told by my granny in his Eastern (-Prussia) Low
Saxon dialect, long, long years ago.)

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Larry Granberg <nibwit at yahoo.com>

Hello All
I have been following this thread with some interest. While I can somewhat
agree
with the general position of most of the replies, I do not hold to the
viewpoint
that the spread of English of whichever variety is a terrible encroachment
on the
standing of other languages. Rather, if I can run with Ron's thoughts
about reaching
those on the list who have difficulty in understanding LS, I believe that
English as
lingua terra is the  way to preserve those languages that have gotten
short shrift
in their native environs. Though certainly not the case concerning the
experiences
of the Celtic languages in the (then) British Isles, nor of the Amerinds
of North
America, it has been a boon to those other languages that have been
oppressed (if
you will) by languages within the same linguistic family tree, or totally
foreign.
There are now groups much like LS dealing with Sorbian, Provence,
Corsican, or in my
direct experience Carpatho-Rusyn who never dream of using the official
politi!
cal
 language of the whichever nation to get their points across, they use
English as a
means to distance themselves while producing material in their own
languages. Has
there not been discussion here about the effect that German and Dutch
generally and
orthographically have had on both the present and future of LS languages?
I admit that my knowledge and usage of LS is scant.  While my abilities in
both
Luxemburgish and German have improved, I find that I still have many
difficulties
with LS in both general vocabulary and and the semantic meaning behind
phrases. So I
have been afraid  even  try to reply in LS. With the more involved
questions of
grammar or linguistics, I am afraid that I would be total up the creek if
it where
not for English being used here on the list.  I have in the past relied on
both the
posts in original LS and the English translations to get those  meanings
or as close
to the meaning as possible, and while I can understand Ron's position on
how labor
intensive it is to produce, I do wish that there were more dual posting.
Criostir wrote;
   "I don't see the growth of English as a world language as a good thing
in
terms of
travel. The old days of having to learn useful phrases of a country's
language
before traveling there are long gone, robbing the youngest generation
of
English
speakers of any respect for or interest in other languages (and, by
extension,
cultures), "because everyone speaks English anyway". With this comes an
ugly lack of
respect for which native English speakers (whether English, Scottish,
Australian,
American or even Irish) have become notorious - the old "I'll say it
louder in
English" syndrome. I've had to fight to speak Dutch in Belgium and the
Netherlands
because as an English speaker it was presumed I would never want to
speak
in any
other language. It's depressing."
I can tell you emphatically that this has not been my experience.
Certainly in the
larger cities of say Luxembourgville or Trier there are many who have some
skill at
English, the vast majority do not. I have had to fall on in the beginning
half
remembered phrases of whatever Luxembourgish I was learning, or the so
rusty it was
useless German that I studied years before. But whatever poor attempts
that I did
make, people opened up considerably and where touched that I tried to
communicate in
their language. For those that understood English, they spoke it with me
thinking
only that it would be easier for me to understand. When I kept attempting
to speak
in their language  they went with the flow but did try to speak simply. On
the topic
of respect or lack there of, I agree that learning or attempting to learn
another
language opens you up to the thought processes behind a different culture,
but not
speaking that language does not go in hand in hand with a lack of respect
for!
 that
 culture. Actually it seems that the Americans, British, Irish, Canadians
(should I
have used English  speaking vacationers?) that I have met here on holiday
were much
more interested in the history and culture than their French or Dutch
counterparts.
These people on those tours that I was somehow tackled into attending
asked far
more questions than the other groups or did not have an agenda like one
French
national who stated flatly that Luxembourg should be either a part of the
French or
Belgian nations.
>>From the time that I spent as a teacher, I have found that languages and
the other
arts should not be electives but should be part of the core curriculum
when it
comes to secondary school. You need the exposure of a different language
in order
to achieve a different way of thinking and logic - but I suppose I am
preaching to
the choir here on the list on that subject.
I guess what I am trying to say is that if English was not the unifying
thread
between the different LS varieties, the list would be extremely difficult
for me to
both use and enjoy.
Just some thoughts,
Larry