LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 29 15:33:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: "Global Moose Translations" <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.29 (01) [D/E/LS]

Jonny wrote:
>LS(??) has 'Muckefuck' = (E: 'coffee-substitute, made of malt or
>chicoree-roots'; G: 'Ersatzkaffee').

Sounds to me like the word is probably derived from "mock coffee" (Jonny,
think "mockturtle soup").

Here's another: "Klackermaschü" is LS for exaggerated frills, as in a
too-lacy dress, or a cake with too much icing and decorations. Sounds
vaguely French to me. Any theories?

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Gabriele!

_Klackermaschü_ (stressed on the last syllable), which we also use in
Hamburg Missingsch, means something different where I am from: 'whipped
cream'.

It is one of those words whose etymology I have been thinking about for
quite some time, another one being _schisslaweng_ (last syllable stressed)
'flourish', 'squiggle', 'twirl', 'flamboyant manner/addition', which at
one point I suspected to be derived from French _chasse le vent_ ... (<
_chasser au vent_?) ;-)  And there is the famous enigma of _visematenten_
(<Fisematenten>) 'fuss', 'to-do', 'evasive stunt', 'stalling tactic',
'diversion', 'subterfuge' (by some suspected of being derived from French
_visite ma tante_ 'visit my aunt'). Both of them are also used in
Missingsch.

I strongly suspect that in Low Saxon there are such things as "mock French
words," namely words made to sound French as people then thought French
sounded.  "Mock" might be the correct word here, because I suspect that
mocking of 18th- and/or 19th-century "fine folks'" "Franquesque"
lifestyles and speech was involved, or it had something to do with the
French occupation of Northern Germany in the early 19th century.

In Low Saxon _klakkern_ (<klackern>) means the same as German _kleckern_
'to make a mess (eating)', 'to drop food while eating', 'to dribble'.
_Schuy_ (<Schü>) means 'sauce', like Dutch _jus_ derived from French
_jus_.  I wonder if these play at least an indirect role in the creation
of a mock French word that has been deliberately made to sound funny.

Regards, as I get ready to fly back to Seattle.