LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.08.31 (02) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 31 14:47:15 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.AUG.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Winterburn <david.winterburn at steinmuller.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.30 (04) [D/E/LS]

>> French "biscuit = cooked twice" hence Zwieback. Yes and D. Beschuit is a
>> bastardization of "biscuit"

>Beschuyt_ (<Beschüüt> [be"Sy:t]), _maschuyt_ (<Maschüüt> [ma"Sy:t]),
>moschuyt_ (<Moschüüt> [mo"Sy:t]), _meschuyt_ (<Meschüüt> [me"Sy:t]), etc.,
>in Low Saxon of Germany, as opposed to German _Zwieback_.

>> Anyhow "beschuit is erg lekker met kaas!"

>Ja, met Gouda-kaas ... un mit milk un sukker (as wy dat as kinder kregen).

>Kumpelmenten,
>Reinhard/Ron

Talking about "biscuits" (the word I have noted is French derived), its
funny how the British like that word where the Americans prefer "Cookies"
which they got from the Dutch.(I am told)In South Africa "Cookies" is used
in Afrikaans and Biscuits in English but there is occasional interchanging.

South African English tends to follow the British standard but there seems
in my opinion to be some influence from the American form especially where
the pronunciation coincides with the Afrikaans pronunciation.eg "Lieutenant"
in Britain is pronounced " Leftenant" though it is spelt "Lieutenant"
Whereas the Americans pronounce it as it is spelt. Afrikaners pronounce it
Lay-tenant and the South African English tend to use the American
pronunciation more than the British one.

Another thing I have noted is my children tend to call their mother "Mom"
where I always called my mother "Mum".

Regards
Dave Winterburn

Telephone number: +27 11 806 3468
Fax number: +27 11 806 3203
email address : david.winterburn at steinmuller.co.za

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Dave,

Americans have biscuits too, but they are different creatures, as I had to
find out to my surprise -- and you can *not* refer to them as "bickies."
They are fluffy affairs, often eaten warm at breakfast, or with gravy at
other times of the day as well.  With gravy, greens and meat or fish its a
specialty of the American South, also of African American "soul food."

See here for recipes:
http://search.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=10270
http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/biscuits.html

Visitors to the United States definitely should not ask for "biscuits" if
they want "cookies," since only very well educated people are aware what
non-Americans mean by it and have the presence of mind to ask for
clarification at the sound of your "accent."  I'm not sure about the
situation in Canada, but I assume that knowing both is standard among our
usually passively "ambiglossal" northern neighbors.