LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.30 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 1 06:03:12 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 30 November 2005 * Volume 11

From:  Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.30 (01) [E]

Dear Sandy, Paul, Heather & All:

Subject: LL-L "Language learning"

> As I've said before, the use of "of" as an auxiliary has a venerable
> history. The American short-story writer Sherwood Anderson used it
> copiously as part of what otherwise seems to be pretty much standard
> English. As he was a newspaper editor most of his life, not to mention
> the fact that he's acknowledged as one of the great short-story writers,
> I don't think it's as easy as all that to dismiss it as ignorance.

> It seems to me from reading blogs that so many people write "of" because
> they think of it as that word, not as some sort of misspelling of
> "have". There are people who use it quite consistently amongst excellent
> English prose. It seems that it's quite an old written usage that we're
> not widely familiar with only because of publishers blocking it because
> they follow Strunk and White too slavishly, and yet it arises time and
> time again in writing because that's how many English speakers think.

We should not also overlook the usages of informal language. A man who would
in a formal context say "Come and have a cup of coffee!", would with
equinamity tell a friend in the corridor, "xum nav ukufe kofi."

"I would of" often serves in contexts properly belonging to "I would've"
(in both speech and writing) for those uncomfortable with the apostrophe,
but they know and use both 'of' and 'have' in appropriate context.

There is also place for reporting informal language in formal writing,
particularly in short stories. C.S. Lewis, who is no slouch when it comes to
correct English, reports informal language freely and effectively in his
novels. So do others. There is also a place for reporting 'informal text' in
formal English, even, Heaven help us, SMSspeak.

For the consolation of the pedants (of whom I am one - within limits)! Even
with this most accumulative of languages, English, there is a body of
'temporary language' embraced by all manner of social groupings. Call it
slang but it is not always either filthy or impoverished language, but often
technical or practical, and it lasts only as long as it is useful. Now there
is the SMS, and someone mentioned the telegraph. Thaes ofereode, thisses swa
maeg. As technology improves the keyboard will pass the way of the dial, and
voice, I suspect, with all its shortcomings, will reign supreme.

Yrs,
Mark