LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.30 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 1 06:06:23 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 30 November 2005 * Volume 12

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.30 (08) [A/E]

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Language varieties
"Indeed, Bulgarian has a suffixed definite article."
and
"Romanian (which, like Latin, has suffixed definite articles), it is a
preserved ancient feature."

Suffixed definite (and indefinite) articles also turn up in Scandinavian
languages whereas all other Germanic languages put them at the front.  Is
this an ancient IE feature that Scandinavian retains while other Germanics
changed, or did the Scandinavians re-invent it?

I understand that the feature also occurs in the Nahuatl language of Mexico,
the "tl" on the end of many words being the article.

Paul