LL-L "Language learning" 2005.12.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 1 23:07:19 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 December 2005 * Volume 07

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.30 (01) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>I don't think it's as easy as all that to dismiss it as ignorance.<

What else can it be?

It should be 've short for have and then the tense being used  makes sense.

There is no possible meaning of 'of' or prior use of 'of' that could give
it any historical authenticity or satisfactory meaning.

It is used instead of a homonym when people write what they hear instead of
what has meaning.

And YES there are times when one can say that something is right and
ssomething else is wrong! It is no reflection on a person who says it.

Unless ov cors u are gooing to follo that lyn of thort in which effrybody
speeks and rites koreektly and never makes a mistake because no-one dare
mention the word 'wrong'.

Heather

---------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2005.12.01 (05) [E]

French children use it not just for etxts but also in internet chatrooms /
messaging.

Heather,

It makes me crazy when I email my Francophone friends because they won't put
the blasted accents! I use a screenreader, and it can't guess that pere
means père!