LL-L "Etymology" 2005.12.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 1 17:12:43 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 December 2005 * Volume 06

From: Kevin and Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.30 (09) [E]

> Your dad already mentioned that the German word _Kittchen_ (English
> 'jail',
> 'poke')

That's 'pokey'. A poke is a sack. Other English words for 'jail' (or 'gaol'
if you prefer) or 'prison' include: hoosegow, calaboose, clink, grey bar
hotel, stir (whence the term 'stir crazy'), brig (on a ship), jug, can, big
house, pen, slammer, cooler... Not to mention 'correctional facility' and
'penitentiary'.

> comes from a word for a small hut or shelter ("Kate" or "Kote").
> Its older form was something like *_Küttchen_.  The basic word has a long,
> long history.  Originally it meant "building" (in contrast to a "tent" or
> "yurt" in which nomads live).  In many Asian languages it (_kota_) has
> come
> to mean 'town' or 'city' (as in "Kalkutta" 'city of Kali', "Kota
> Singapura"
> 'city of the lion (city)', and "Huhehot" < "Kökekota" 'blue city').

Any relation to English 'cote' or 'cottage'?

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language learning

Thanks, Kev.

It was simply a typo, due to lateness and fatigue.  My scheduled flight on
Tuesday had been cancelled, and I arrived in Seattle very late, had to get
up at five in the morning yesterday and then deal with important meetings
and same-day deadlines ...

> Any relation to English 'cote' or 'cottage'?

Old French _cotage_ is related to Latin _cotagium_ < _cota_.

Indeed, also with "cot," Dutch and Saxon _kot_.  Old English has _kot_ also
(pl. _kotu_), besides _cýte_ and _céte_ (> Middle English _chete_).  Old
Northumbrian has _cott_ (dative _cotte_, _cottum_), similar to medieval
Rhenish _kotte_.  (Hence also _Kittchen_.)  Germanic *_kuto_ or *_kuta_, and
this seems to have meant 'shelter' generally, thus including also temporary
shelters such as tents.

Sanskrit कोट _koTa_ 'fortress', 'citadel', 'stronghold' > Hindi कोट _koTa_
'fortress' Gujarathi ગઢ _g at Dh(@)_ 'fortress', Kashmiri ﻛﻮﺗﹽﺎ _kotta_ 'room',
etc.

The Indic cognates are linked with words denoting 'to encircle', 'to
surround', referring to surrounding walls (hence also 'room').  So the idea
here is similar to that of "town" (cf. German _Zaun_ 'fence') and _borough_
(cf. German _Burg_) with later reference to 'city'.