LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.12.01 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 2 01:33:57 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 December 2005 * Volume 13

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.12.01 (06) [E]

Kevin,

The basic word has a long,
> long history.  Originally it meant "building" (in contrast to a "tent" or
> "yurt" in which nomads live).  In many Asian languages it (_kota_) has
> come
> to mean 'town' or 'city' (as in "Kalkutta" 'city of Kali', "Kota
> Singapura"
> 'city of the lion (city)', and "Huhehot" < "Kökekota" 'blue city').

Any relation to English 'cote' or 'cottage'?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I'm wondering if it had something to do
with the French word cóté meaning a side.
Ben

From: Philip Ernest Barber <pbarber at loc.gov>

Also, "stockade" in the US military (except for "brig" for sailors and
Marines). "Hoosegow" is pretty much a Texas and SW US term in origin and
comes from Sp. "juzgado," tribunal or court. Apparently Texians frequently
found that when they went to court they usually ended up in jail.