LL-L "Resources" 2005.12.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 2 18:21:08 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 December 2005 * Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Below I will introduce to you three wonderful new resources: one book and
two language-related websites.

(1) Book in print:
Irmgard Epp, 2006, _Constantinoplers -- Escape from Bolshevism_
This book by our own Reuben Epp's wife (whom I have had the privilege of
meeting) sheds light on a hitherto poorly known event in Mennonite history:
Mennonites (including White Army soldiers) escaping Bolshevism via Istanbul
(Constantinople) and Batumi, 1920-1921.

This collection of real-life stories promises to be of interest to Mennonite
(and other) historians, particularly to those whose forefathers were among
escapees from Russia in the 1920-21 time period and  whose recorded
experiences are related in this book.. Many
members of  their families now reside in Canada and the USA.

For further information about price and availability, please contact:

Irmgard Epp
648 Thorneloe Road
Kelowna, BC
V1W 4P6  CANADA

E-mail: lanerubens at silk.net

***

(2) Language-related web presentations:

Although I am not officially a British citizen I feel "proud" of the
leadership and recent achievements of the British Library and the British
Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in the area of creating language awareness
and resources on-line.  I encourage all of you to support the development of
these resources in every way you can.

(A)
The British Library's website "English Accents and Dialects"
(http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/collections/dialects/) has been going from
good to excellent.  It introduces English varieties from all over the United
Kingdom, and these introductions come with sound files.
Click on the link "View whole collection"
(http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/search/advanced.cfm?collection=English%20Accents%20and%20Dialects&step=val_form)
and enjoy!

(B)
The BBC's "Voices" site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/) has been growing into
a dazzling array of information about the languages and dialects of the
United Kingdom presented in a non-insular manner.  This includes sound
files, background information, introductions of participants, interactive
language maps, message boards and information contribution opportunities,
also information about Irish, Gaelic, Manx and Welsh.  Folks, go and poke
around, take tours, and share your information!  It's oodles of fun and
edification.  Bravo, BBC!

British: Well done, indeed, everyone!
American: Good job, guys!