LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 3 20:42:11 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 03 December 2005 * Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.30 (13) [E]

Gary Taylor said in response to my remarks about the use of "would of"
<Are you somehow equating education with the way one
<speaks??? And thereby implying that all educated
<people should speak a 'standardised' version of their
<language to show their level of education? Did you
<just drop out of 1800's?

<Sorry I don't usually get easily wound up, but these
<sort of comments are the ones which show ignorance and
<blatant snobbery.

Gary,
No I was not born in the 1800's, but both my parents were.
Also I do not mind you calling me a snob, if being a snob means that I
insist on proper language-use by my children. That is part and parcel of
"noblesse oblige", which covers a lot more than language-use alone.
I think we are talking about two entirely different things.
One is a rigorous use of the standard language as opposed to a slovenly one.
"Would of" is part of the latter usage. It does not per se say anything
about the educational level or intelligence of either parent or child. But I
would expect a parent who speaks the "standardized" language to his or her
children to call them on the use of "would of".
An entirely different matter is the use of a regional language. This is the
case of leading a double life. On the one hand you claim a birthright in
your local culture and speak the language of that culture as well as
possible. On the other hand, you'd better also identify with the country as
a whole and speak the standardized language to converse with people from
different parts of the country, especially since very often the regional
culture does not cover every thing you want to do with your life.
And that is one of the things that interest me in Lowland-L.
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jacqueline

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L Grammar

Hi Heather

Sorry, me again.

You said

(me)>Who's to say there's not a variety of English
where
'could of' is correct and 'could have' is
ungrammatical? <

(you) "Now that part of your argument is not
sustainable -  If you are trying
communicate a future perfect conditional , then it can
never be wrong
say "I would have done that"."

Ok agreed, but 'never' is too strong a word - there
may come a time when it is wrong - see my argument
about Romanian auxiliaries where the full verb 'a
avea' is now ungrammatical as an auxiliary.

"However it shows an aural/ visually
laziness
to say ' I would of done that' because the historical
line backwards
from
'of' leads first to '  've'   and then back to
'have'."

I'm saying that for some people, myself included the
auxiliary has become 'of'. Yes when I say 'I could
of/'ve done that', they are both identically
pronounced. However when I say 'yes I could of' as
affirmation of something then I use a stressed 'of'
with full 'o' vowel, where you no doubt would use a
stressed 'have'. This is a phenomenon that has picked
up amongst people under 40. It probably is the result
of laziness from a previous generation, but for me
it's what I've always heard and always said. There is
no way that I can equate the pronunciation 'ov' with
'have'. If I'm writing standard English, then I DO
write 'have', although to me that seems unnatural as
it is not what I say. So if newspapers are beginning
to accept the spelling 'of' instead of ''ve' then I'm
all for it - because this is the English I speak.

"If you want to change a language by being lazy -
fine"

This is the way language has always changed. It's why
we say 'fall' instead of Proto-German 'fallanan' -
because speakers are naturally lazy. It doesn't take
anything away from the meaning, and if it did then
speakers usually find ways round it. And as said above
it was a previous generation that was lazy and not me,
it's what I've always heard, so it has already become
grammatical for me.

" but please do not
propose that it has a historical correctness."

I never did, but language change unfortunately doesn't
usually fit into neat packages that always make sense
- which is what makes it so fascinating.

"And if the majority of people - because they are
poorly taught their
language ( and written/printed language has to be
taught; it won't come
naturally of itself) or they practise it so little as
to never gain a
mastery of it, then - yes - the next generation will
be brought up to
think
that it is 'correct' i.e. acceptable."

As said it's already happened to a large extent. We
can't reverse it.

"The siily-selig  argument also is spurious because it
is a change in
meaning: the equaivalent argument would be to suddenly
start using an
adjective as a verb or a noun or as an auxiliary to a
tense formation."

Ok a few words : German 'Narbe' originally an
adjective meaning 'narrow', now a noun; 'till'
originating from an adverbial usage of a Germanic noun
'tilam' meaning 'a fixed point'; 'want' originally
only a noun now more commonly a verb, with the meaning
as a noun becoming gradually obsolete; 'to up' a
preposition/adverb becoming a verb; and with a bit
more research I could go on. Are these better
arguments?

"I accept entiely that languages move on - I would
just prefer that
developements were not based on half understood
structures."

I think the majority of people would, but then we have
to go back and look at the majority of our language
and see why it has changed - there's a heck of a lot
of ignorance involved. Folk etymologies - 'cockroach'
for example - are based on ignorance. Differences such
as 'to fall' - 'to fell', 'fill' - 'full', 'to sit' -
'to set' were originally logical alternations where
everyone understood the interrelation, I doubt many
people nowadays do. (Not sure about this one but I
think I've read it somewhere...) intransitive verbs in
English were originally formed with 'to be' in the
perfect tense (much the same as German), but were
ousted by 'to have' again probably through ignorance.
That the majority of nouns in English have the -s
plural and all other inflexions are lost is probably
due to ignorance. Again do I need to go on?

The auxiliary 'have' has actually now got nothing to
do with the full verb 'have'. To recognise this and
change it to 'of' could be thought of as a recognition
of the different functions - and could be thought of
as astute insight. I don't think anyone would make the
'mistake' of writing 'of' instead of the full verb
'have'. But then that probably is a silly (in the
non-blessed sense) argument ;)

There's the new trend amongst younsters to use a
general tag 'innit', regardless of the verb used
before. This could be construed as laziness or
ignorance. I personally would always use a tag based
on the previous verb. But looking at it, the tag
system in English is ridiculously complex, these
youngsters are just streamlining the language. I
should imagine that in 100 years this will be the only
tag, and that it came from 'ain't it' will probably
also have been forgotten. We really do have to accept
that changes are inevitable. No, we won't like them
all, but as said previously, we cannot do a thing
about them.

"(By the same argument I have always argued for the
removel of the
English
apostrophe to denote possession: not because most
people seem entirely
incapable of using it correctly, but because it is
used to denote the
absence of letters that were never there in the first
place BUT were
thought to have been there!)"

Well, we're in complete agreement here :)

And by the way, for someone who's vehemently against
the use of 'could of', you really should check your
spellings before sending your mails...

Gary

http://hometown.aol.com/taylor16471/myhomepage/index.html