LL-L "Resources" 2005.12.03 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 3 21:51:07 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 03 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.12.01 (03) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

(2) Language-related web presentations:<

Another one to add to the list - tho' I don't have the website address yet
- Andrew Motion, our Poet Laureate , has created a Listen to Poetry site
where among others you can hear Tennyson reading the "Charge of the Light
Brigade"  and Browning "How they brought the good news from Aix to Ghent"

I am sure you can locate the site for us, Ron/Reinhard?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Well, I'd love to oblige, Heather.  Hope you and everyone else is having a
splendid weekend.

Do you mean this one?
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/poemsHome.do

Andrew Motion
http://www.martinblyth.co.uk/andrew_motion.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2912557.stm

Below in like vein but with a North American twist ...

Wired for Book http://wiredforbooks.org/poetry/

Online Audio and Video Recordings: UC Berkeley Lectures and Events
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/audiofiles.html

On a different note:

Our Jonny proposed a kiddies' corner of Lowlands-L.  While, as previously
stated, I generally like the idea of attracting the younger and youngest to
our areas of interest, I have some serious reservations after some thought
given to the matter.

There are two serious problems:

(1) As our Mark (Dreyer) already pointed out, an interactive forum like our
"adult" version (which, with parental permission, has quite a few very young
subscribers already) would doubtlessly attract fake children, namely adults
posing as children, and this would not be a good thing.

(2) It would open up the Pandora's box of parents', educators' and child
advocates' (justifiable) vigilance regarding minors' exposure to and by the
Internet, especially where exchanges with adults are in fact or are likely
to be involved.

Given these points, I would be opposed to introducing a junior companion
forum.

By the same token, I am fully in favor of creating companion web
presentations directed at children, particularly at primary and secondary
schools, if not also at pre-schools.  This could even include a type of
"guestbook," as long as entries are edited, individuals' (not schools')
names are partly anonymized and email addresses are masked.  However, this
would depend on two conditions:

(1) Our membership is in general agreement.
(2) Someone (other than me but willing to work with me, Mathieu, Sandy and
others) volunteers to conduct or direct this, preferably a team of people
with knowlege of and experience in child education and child psychology.

I am (unfortunately) not a parent (though I love children and adolescents
even a little more than older human and non-human beings, if that's even
possible).  Thus, while I have general experience with children and my heart
is in the right place (or so I believe), I would like to leave the running
of such a venture to those better qualified, though I would have to ensure
that it not stray off our general path.  I have in mind direction, not
participation as a whole, for I would be opposed to excluding people who are
not parents and/or educators.  Furthermore, ideally there ought to be
consultation of children and adolescents, so as not to come across as too
"teachy" and "preachy" but to strike tones and pick styles and formats that
appeal to the target audience.  This could be done by Lowlands-L members
seeking their children's input and test-running presentation with them.

It would be nice to have language choices for the presentations, at least
for English, Dutch and German, ideally including Afrikaans, Scots, Low Saxon
and others, also French.  These need not be carbon copies but could be
custom-made for each of the envisaged readerships (for instance emphasis on
Canada, Flemish and Flanders in French).  At any rate, they must be brief
and to the point, and of course "fun," with few words on each page and
illustrations and sound files wherever possible.  Personally, I would like
to see them instill awareness of individual heritage (e.g., language
history) and its connections with related heritage.