LL-L "Language varietiesr" 2005.12.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 9 02:01:59 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 December 2005 * Volume 04

From: Sean Roach <sroa at loc.gov>
Subject: language varieties

Ron, the discussion about zich rang a bell with me, and I think I found the
answer in B.C. Donaldson's 1983 book Dutch : a linguistic history of Holland
and Belgium:

"The third person singular and plural reflexive pronoun zich is of German
origin, as the final gutteral fricative indicates.  Dutch formerly (and even
now in dialects and Afrikaans) used the object form of the third person
pronouns as reflexives, as we still do in English, e.g. he washes
himself/she washes herself/they wash themselves-- compare Afrikaans hy was
hom/sy was haar/hulle was hulle.  Zich did not become common in Holland
until the sixteenth century, under the influence of Reformation literature
from Germany.  Its incorporation into the State Translation of the Bible in
the seventeenth century assured its place in ABN.  However, in plat one
still very commonly hears the following forms, an indication that zich is
not an indigenous word: z'n eigen (lit. his own)/d'r eigen (lit. her own,
their own)."

Sean Roach