LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 9 15:41:44 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

09 December 2005 * Volume 01

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.08 (01) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>This takes us back to the "cake eats girl" incident:

"Cake girl eat."
"Girl cake eat."

both mean the same thing, thanks to a bit of common sense or cultural
agreement. But I said the verb has to come after the object. This is
because the verb "eat" varies in BSL according to what's eaten: a piece
of cake, a slice of pizza, a potato crisp, dinner with fork and knife,
they're all held in different ways. And just as I can't tell what the
man's curved hand was before he signs "full moon", I can't tell what the
girl's hand is supposed to be holding until the sign for "cake", "pizza"
or whatever, has been made, so the verb must come after the object!<

This is wonderful! And your whole message enthralling! BSL continues to
fascinate as a vivid and dramatic and seemingly ever innovative method of
communicating thought.

I use a similar argument with children who baulk at the thought of French
adjectives coming after the noun.

I ask them which is more logical as a thought process

A large, red, expensive .................................(sorry I died
before I got to the end of the sentence . What did you end up with as a
mental picture?

A car, large, red ............................. ( I died before I got to
the end of the sentence but at least you knew what I was talking about even
if you had a cheap run-about in mind rather than a Porsche or Ferrari!

Heather