LL-L "Honors" 2005.12.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 13 04:47:22 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 12 December 2005 * Volume 04

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Honors" 2005.12.12 (02) [E]

>>From Ron "Masterful Leader" Reinhart

>JACQUELINE:
<'Uki'ukikehamoku
<(< *Kutikutitefamotu)
<keha (pride, dignity, lofty)
<moku (island)
'uki'uki (lily, _Dianella sandwicensis_)

Dear Ron, I am absolutely tickled pink with my new name, especially with the
uki'uki part. Little did you know that one of the "pet names" my parents
gave to me when I was about 12 years old was "Kukelhaan". So a better
fitting name you could not have bestowed on me.
I will use it to introduce my lofty self when I am in Hawai next week.
( They say the temperature is in the eighties, Ah bliss!) Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Honors

Dear Jacqueline,

> Dear Ron, I am absolutely tickled pink with my new name, especially with
> the uki'uki part.

I'm glad you have a sense of appreciation as well as one of humor.

You can always insist on being called by the shortened version 'Uki'uki, of
course.

> Little did you know that one of the "pet names" my parents gave to me when
> I was about 12 years old was "Kukelhaan". So a better fitting name you
> could
> not have bestowed on me.

Who says little did I know?  Did you not read what I said about shamanic
possessions?  Little did you know about this kahuna's psychic powers, vastly
increased as the solstices approach.  The tribal names of my cohorts come to
me in the way of visions (set on by repetitive activities, such as scrubbing
the bathtub or shredding documents).  Mind you, these series of spells of a
limited duration (thankfully, some might say).

Furthermore, one _kukelhaan_ (_Gockelhahn_) can tell another even without
going into a trance.

I had a good master, a Hawaiian friend who years ago taught me some of his
language and also the ways of name creation -- and our mailman at one of my
abodes had me practice his native Hawaiian with him and invited me to
non-touristy luaus of the Greater Seattle Area's Native Hawaiian community.

> I will use it to introduce my lofty self when I am in Hawai next week.
> ( They say the temperature is in the eighties, Ah bliss!) Jacqueline

Have a lovely time, dear Bainbridge Island Lily of ours!  May the rains of
Christmas time keep their distance, and may only balmy breezes lovingly
tousle your hair!

E pili mau nā pōmaika'i me 'oe, ā nā kalokalo leo 'ana no ke ola!
(Best wishes, and may you enjoy good health!)
Reinhard/Ron
(your friendly local Kahuna 'Ōlelo Kai 'Ākau)