LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.16 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 17 01:19:41 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

16 December 2005 * Volume 11

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.16 (02) [E]

Ingmar,

About inhaling words, I thought that was particulary Scandinavian.
Somehow, it seems a sign of insecurity, especially among some older women,
in the Netherlands. But now you mention the inhaled "ja", I remember that
I heard it mostly from people from the North, in this case Groningen and
Friesland, and also but less so Drenthe.
I also read somewhere once that many Scandinavian whistle by sucking the
air in through their lips, instead of blowing it outside.
The funny thing is that this was the way I learnt whistle myself as a
child, only later I found out that all other children did it from inside
to outside. Maybe because of my Scandinavian first name?

You don't actually inhale on the egressive stops. It still arrives at an
exhaled sound. The difference is that the egressive b and d start with a
little tiny instant of inhaling before the regularly exhaled sound starts. I
think of it as trying to say bird or day as someone is punching you. You
still get the b and d, but it starts differently. I'm not a linguist though,
and I may have screwed you up more.
Ben