LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.21 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 22 02:30:10 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

21 December 2005 * Volume 14

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.21 (07) [E]

Dear Gabriele,

you took my next question:
> So, anyway, why call the current spelling "German based" if it is actually
> based on Roman letters?
At this point I feel like you!
The basic for our Middle-West-North-East-South-European languages ARE Roman
letters. Standard German must be very close to Old Latin, because we (German
speakers) normally haven't any difficulties to pronounce it the way it could
have been pronounced in the times of Cesar.
Shouldn't this rule be valid the same way for LS, too?

Anyway- we cannot deny that there are different sounds in these two
languages- LS and Standard German.
But- the more I learn about Scots and English and Dutch I feel convinced
they have at least separated from their original, traditional and
Latin-close pronunciation and spelling in the last 200 years- English much
more obviously than Dutch or German.

So- as I wrote two days ago: for some reasons I'm unable to follow Ron at
his way to spell LS (from time to time) with a specific system, but much of
his typing I have to accept because of the German insufficiency to describe
my idiolect.
The same I'd say about Dutch or perhaps English.
So you may think about my kind of writing as a 'wild' mixture of
Western-European (and Seattled ;-))languages, but: in it's greater part
based on Standard German (Standard Dutch isn't thus far) as a successor of
Latin.

Allerbest Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

BTW: In your last posting you wrote:
> In'n Tüddel kummt wi noch lang nich... laat man use Spraak tauvreden!
> (Actually, this is already standardised, around here it would be
> "Spraok".)
Where is the Standard German vowel _ao_? You don't mean 'Spra-ok' as a
reader from Southern German could think- what you really describe is very
similar to an 'å'!? Why not use it, sometimes? To describe the true sound of
our language even for people writing or studying very ominous
online-encyclopaedias? T.S.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Jonnster,

Our Gabriele wrote:

> In'n Tüddel kummt wi noch lang nich... laat man use Spraak tauvreden!

Actually, what I personally find highly perturbing (and I'll probably have
to talk to my therapist about this) is the spelling _tauvreden_.  I find it
distressingly unorthodox, if not even heretical, for it looks suspiciously
both Dutch (_tevreden_) and Middle Saxon (_tôvreden_), if not even AS
(_touvreden_).  Oh, no!  I thought that among Sass's devoted minions it was
supposed to be _taufreden_ or _taufräden_ (in other dialects _tofreden_ or
_tofräden_).

Nein, oh, nein ...

Toodle-loo!