LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 22 15:27:13 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

22 December 2005 * Volume 01

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.21 (12) [E]

Hello Lowlanders,

Justin wrote:
> I do however agree that colloquially "haff to," hafta" are possible for
> "have to" but that "have 2" for "I have 2 of them" can never be unvoiced,
> even colloquially. I believe this is due to "two," and its vowel sound not
> being able to be shortened to a schwa sound as is possible with "to,"
> which in turn, contributes to the stress and intonation pattern of "have
> to" being shortened to "hafta" or haff to.

I believe Justin might be on to something here. I think it might be the
reduction
of "to" which "cliticizes" onto the preceding word that causes the unvoicing
of
"v". One factor that is always underestimated is simple cooccurence
frequency.
If words occur together very often they develop idiosyncratic "bonding"
behavior.
Even if their stressed forms are pronounced and written the same.

Consider the pronoun "ihr" in Ruhr German (a German dialect on a heavy Low
Saxon substratum).
It can either be 3rd person feminine singular dative or 2nd person plural
nominative as in:

1. Ich gib ihr                         morng        dat Auto.   (dative)
    I    give 3.SG.F.DAT        tomorrow    the car
    "I'll give her the car tomorrow."

2. Ihr                 seid do bekloppt. (nominative)
    2.PL.NOM   are   ...  crazy
    "You are really crazy!"

The interesting fact is that although the stressed forms are exactly alike,
only the nominative plural
pronoun can be cliticized onto the verb in the form of "a" (centralized). (=
is used to indicate a clitic rather than an affix)

3. Habta                        noch n bisken Zeit?
    Have=2.PL.NOM    still    a  little    time?
    "Do you still have a little time?"

This does not work with "ihr" as a dative singular pronoun.

4. * Ihr                   habta                                    nix
geschickt.
       2.PL.NOM     have=3.SG.FEM.DAT         nothing   sent
       "You have sent her nothing."

My main hypothesis is that the combination "verb + feminine singular dative
pronoun" is simply much less frequent
than the combination "verb + subject pronoun" and therefore cliticization is
not possible (yet).
Effects like this one have also been suggested for cliticization of articles
in Swiss German e.g. by Damaris Nübling.

Note by the way that cliticization is possible with the feminine singular
accusative pronoun "sie" or "se".

5. Ihr habt=se                            nich gesehen, odda?
    You have=3.SG.FEM.ACC  not   seen, or?
    "You have not seen her, have you?"

As "have" in the sense of "must" always cooccurs with a "to" and is
frequently used. It is quite likely that a bond
between the two will form also phonologically and it is also likely that
this form becomes separated from
"have" as a full verb expressing possession and so on.

Gued gaon!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.rub.de