LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 22 15:51:21 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

22 December 2005 * Volume 03

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.21 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:
> Perhaps there are mental or
> psychological connections to which I am not privy, but I simply cannot see
> how anyone could even begin to feel threatened by that.  Perhaps it's all
> based on a misunderstanding of intents, of suspecting some sinister plot
> where there is none or objecting to the "un-German" or "heretical" look,
> possibly because of privately held rejection of separate language status
for
> LS.  Is it fear of change in general, one of the most deep-seated fears of
> mankind?

Who is feeling threatened here? Just you, obviously. Try "bothered" on my
part, by the utterly unesthetic look of what I am supposed to accept as "my"
language. I know that orthographies change, but that is usually a gradual,
logical process over centuries (rest assured, even I no longer write
Luther's German), and developed by those to whom the language "belongs", not
the baby of an avid professional  linguist who, for whatever reasons, thinks
that he ought to change the look and feel that native speakers love to yet
another soulless , "logical" construction. Well, there already is such a
thing, as standardised as any linguist could wish for. It's called
"phonetics", and that should be enough.

I must very strongly object to the allegation that you have raised several
times now, that anyone who prefers the current LS spelling does so because
it resembles German (which it doesn't, really, no more than Dutch or even
Latin), making me and others sound like nationalists and worse. We are very
well able to distiguish between German, even the Northern flavours, and LS,
like my 85-year-old neighbour who told me that she, too, "grew up
bilingual" - Platt and German. If the difference and the separate status is
so glaring obvious, then why increase it even more artificially just to
drive home your point and gain some professional distinction?

Mind you, practically nobody these days goes through life speaking Lower
Saxon alone, the people who speak it are German and Dutch. So why would they
not be allowed to write their second language in a way that comes natural to
them? These people speak LS because it is near and dear to them, not in
order to follow and support some political agenda.

You are very welcome to play around with any orthography as much as you
like, as well as make it public, discuss it, have fun with it in all those
special ways that linguists enjoy (just like Tolkien's Elbish and Ingmar's
Middelsprake), but please do not try to push it as an actual standard in
"real life", that's where the fun ends for me and many others.

Actually, how come that Middelsprake is so very easy to read, it's almost
like "stumbling up the stairs" with no effort at all, while Ron's
phonetics-based LS spelling is almost impossible to decipher? I think that,
for one thing, with all those Ys, one mentally expects to be reading and
pronouncing it like Yiddish, not Platt.

Gabriele Kahn