LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 10 21:22:39 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.FEB.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.10 (01) [E]

Heather asked: "Wouldn't a Roget's Thesaurus do this for you. It will have
words listed with both Latinate and Germanic sources, surely?"
But, of course, it would.  In fact I checked it for those words, but it's
not nearly as fulfilling (satisfying) as a list of esoteric proto-Modern
English words derived from Old English and by-passing the Norman influence.
I happen to be an INTP in the Myers-Briggs typology, so what could be more
interesting than day-dreaming about something that never was, but, just
might could (notice the double modal) be.  (He said with his tongue pressed
firmly in his cheek)
Mark Brooks