LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.02.15 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 15 16:14:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.FEB.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Anniversary" [E/S]

Here's the Wren in my own (East Lothian) dialect of Scots with some
indications of accent:

Thi Wren

Thir wis this wren hud 'is nest in thi garage. Time wis thi auld yins hud
baith flewn oot -- thi wis wau'tin 'ae git suh'ng fir thir yung fir 'ae
eat-in hud left thi wee yins aw thirsels.

No laung efter, Faither Wren cums hame.

"What's been gaun oan here?" 'i says, "Whae's been it ees, bairns? Ees ar aw
gey frichtit!"

"Aw, Da," says thaim, "this muckle tattie-boagle came by jist thi noo. 'i
wis that fierce-like in scunnersum! 'i glowert inby oor nest wi 'is muckle
een. That's what frichtit us aw sae bad!"

"Ay, A see," says Faither Wren, "what road did 'i gaun?"

"Weel," says thaim, "'i went doon that wey."

"Hing oan!" says Faither Wren, "A'll awae efter 'um. Deh be feared, bairns.
A'll soart him." In it that 'i flees awae efter 'um.

'i cums roond thi bend, in here is it no thi lion 'i sees daunerin alaung.

Bit thi wren's no feared. 'i sets doon oan thi lion's back in starts oan it
'um. "Wha'd'ee hink ee'r daein cummin 'ae ma hoose," says hae, "in frichtin
ma bairns?!"

Thi lion disnae look it 'um in jist gauns oan alaung thi road.

That girs thi wee blellum gaun it 'um aw thi mair. "Ee'v nae business bein
thare, that in ee'v no! In cum ee back," qo he, "weel, yoo'll see! A'm no
wau' 'ae hae 'ae dae'd," says he, in then lufts yin i 'is legs, "bit A'd
brek eer back wi ma leg in a meenit!" In it that 'i flees awae hame 'ae 'is
nest.

"Thare ee ar, bairns," qo he, "A'v lairnt that yin a lessin. Oo'v seen thi
back i him."

And here it is in Scottish English (no indications of accent):

The Wren

There was this wren had his nest in the garage. There was a time the parents
had both flown out -- they were wanting to get something for their young to
eat-and had left the wee ones all by themselves.

Not long after, Father Wren came home.

"What's been going on here?" he said, "Who's been bothering you, children?
You all look downright scared!"

"Aw, Dad," said them, "this great big bogie-man came past just now. He was
so fierce and horrible! He scowled into our nest with his great big eyes.
That's what frightened us all so badly!"

"I see," said Father Wren, "what way did he go?"

"Well," said them, "he went down that way."

"Hang on!" said Father Wren, "I'll get after him. Don't be frightened,
children. I'll fix him." And at that he flew away after him.

He came round the bend, and who is it but the lion he sees walking along.

But the wren's not scared. He lands on the lion's back and starts going on
at him. "What do you think you're doing coming to my house," said he, "and
frightening my children?!"

The lion just ignored him and went on along the road.

That made the cocky wee bird go on at him even more. "You've no right being
there, neither you have! And if you come here again," said he, "well, you'll
see! I'm not wanting to have to do it," said he, and lifted one of his legs,
"but I'd break your back with my leg in a moment!" And at that he flew away
home again to his nest.

"There you are, children," said he, "I've taught that one a lesson. We've
seen the last of him."

I'm still puzzling over how to do recordings, but I'm getting there!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Anniversary

Thanks a bunch, Sandy!  That's superb!  I take it the Scots version should
be treated as separate from the one we already have, not as a subset or
replacement.

If you manage to make sound recordings you'd definitely deserve very special
accolades.  I take it you're planning to make them in collaboration with
someone, since you have no hearing.  I'm sure our Henry would give you
feedback on the recording (and I mean this figuratively, of course), and so
would I.

Below is our Larry Granberg's "Pickburgueez" version.  Note the use of
"sputzee" for any little bird.  I suspect it came from German _Spatz_
'sparrow', which I believe to be a dialectical alternative to _Sperling_.
(I don't think it's of Yiddish descent in Pittsburgh English.)

I will pass all this on to Mathieu for posting.

Thanks a lot again!

Reinhard/Ron

First, here's my intro, for which I invite suggestions:
"The American English dialect of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, owes most to the
dialects imported first to Eastern Pennsylvania and then to Central
Pennsylvania from Northern England and Northern Ireland, some such features
being found in Appalachian dialects as well. Immigrants from Continental
Europe and relocated Southerners of African slave descent added much to this
unique Pittsburghese blend."

Translator:  Larry Granberg, Bungerëf/Bigonville/Bondorf, Luxembourg

Duh Sputzee Wren

Duh sputzee Wren yoosta have his nest ’n duh garaazh. Wance, duh groanaps
both flew aht. Day wan-ed ta git sumen ta eat fer duh ’n’ left’ duh lidel
wanz by demselfs.

Aafta a bit, duh daht sputzee cumz back home, wer he fienz ahl the kidz
screemin ’n’ bahlin ’n’ aht.

“Wahz goin ahn here?” he goes, “Any yinzes hert? Yinzer skairt stiff!”

“Daht! Daht!” Ahl duh kid berts hallert, “Sum rilly beg boogieman wen past
jest nao! He stairt in ahr nest wit hiz beg eyes. He hadt beg teedt ’n’ ’
aht. He wahz summen fier-es an’ hoarbill! Man, dat skairt!”

“N’k,” goes duh daht sputzee, “werz ahbahts dittie go?”

“Uhm,” day wen, “we think he wen dahn dat olt root near S’ Libberti.”

“Wait!” goes duh daht sputzee, “Aisle git after him. Allsju kidz sidtite!” ’
n’ derapon he flieszafter him.

’N’ wennever he cumz arahn duh ben, idza lie-en wawkin dahn dere.

But duh sputzee ’z not skairt. He sidz on duh lie-en’s back ’n’ starts
yellen ahtem. “Wah bidness yinz have aht my haus,” he goes, “an’ skairen my
kidz?!”

’N’ duh lie-en duzn’t heer him aht all ’n’ keeps wawkin.

That makes duh lidil beg mouth git more flustrated, ’n’ duh daht sputzee
starts yellen aht him even more wurs, “Yinz had no bidness being dere, ’n’
if yinz come back,” he goes, “woll, den yi’ll see! I don’t rilly want ta do
it,” he goes ’n’ finally lifts one uv his legs ’n’ he goes, “but I’d break
yinzes back wit my leg inna secken!”

Derapon he flies back to his nest in duh garaazh.

“Air ya go, kidz,” he goes, “I gave that one a lesson. He ain’t gonna be
back.”