LL-L "Orthography" 2005.02.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 16 16:11:58 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands (including "signoff lowlands-l"):
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.02.15 (08) [E]

>From: Шевченко <kivvik_ru at mail.ru>
>Subject: Language...
>
>Hello, everybody!
>Being just a reader of all the stuff you'r sending here, now i desided to
>write.. Actually ask..
>How is this called?
>for ex.
>4 sale = for sale
>u 2 = you too
>CU = see you, etc.
>But i am really interested how this way of expressing ideas called, why it
>appered and when...
>
>Veronika Shevchenko

It's generally called netspeak, "net" from internet of course. I find it
very annoying to read, but sometimes I type "u" instead of "you" as well.
I think it became widely used when chatting got popular (or sms-messages),
as that's the place where I see it used most often.
It's shorter to type, so for sms-messaging it gives you the opportunity to
type more "words" in your 160-character limited message. And for chat it's
just easier for typing longer texts. Though your recipient has to pay for it
as he has to decipher all those abbreviations and all...
More difficult to read is the 1337 (read: leet, pronounce: elite) where they
use 3 for e, 1 for i or l, and such things, eg. |) is a d. But fortunately
that's only popular with diehardgamers I think :D

Diederik Masure