LL-L "Mythology" 2005.02.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 16 16:40:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands (including "signoff lowlands-l"):
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Code Switching

From: R. F. Hahn
I found some glaring examples of this the other day while listening to some
interviews with
speakers of Ainu (Aynu) http://www3.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~mmine/kiki_gen/murasaki/
, a moribund indigenous
language of Northern Japan and of the Kuril Islands (some of which are
territorially disputed between Japan and Russia), and now somewhere between
moribund and extinct in Southern Sakhalin and at the southernmost tip of
Kamchatka, Siberia.
Hello Ron and Lowlanders,
I came across a nice site with a lovely Snipe bird story from the Ainu and
Ron, with all the enthusiasm being generated by the anniversary "Wren"
project I thought I would share it with you (not often you see Ainu on a
Lowlands site!!). Anyway there are enough game bird references of Snipe in
Scots, Brabants, Limburgs, Vlaams etc (as well as in Snepvangers) to warrant
my little indulgence. Following is a link to the story...
http://www.e-village.jp/polygon/pculture.htm#snipe
Quote from web page follows...
The Japanese Snipe is said to be seen only in Hokkaido, Karafuto and
northern Tohoku district of Japan. They say that the snipe flys from
south-eastern part of Australia to Japan for breeding.
By the way, we have a LABO CD library "Chippiyaku Kamui --- The Snipe that
Fell from Heaven". It is a tale from Ainu myth. I will tell you something
about the story.
A Japanese Snipe named "Chippiyaku Kamui" (Kamui means god in Ainu language)
was sent by the gods of Heaven to see if "Ainu"(human being) could live in
the lower world. The lower world was so beautiful that the snipe forgot the
gods' order and played in the beautiful world for a while. Spring, summer
and autumn passed. And then the snipe remembered the gods' order. It flew
hurriedly through the six skies and it returned to the heaven. However, the
gods got angry and reproached it, till finally they hit it with sticks and
punished it, and threw it down to the world below. The snipe had a hard time
in the cold winter lower world. It spent many days healing its body. And
spring came again. When the colorful flowers blossom, it suddenly missed its
homeland. The snipe flew to the high sky, but when it remembered the gods
reproaching and punishing it, it cannot ascend any further.
The last part of the tale:
"Chippi-yak, chippi-yak, chippee-yak ... I sing, as I fly up to the heavens,
but then, I am overcome with sadness, that is why I make sudden dives over
and over again, tearing through the sky with a piercing sound of feathers.
People of tomorrow, Birds. Do as you are told, or you will end up like me.
So said the snipe to end his tale."
Ainu people think that any living things and non-living things have the soul
and that the soul is immortal. They believe that heaven is a warm beautiful
place with no troubles nor pains. The lower world must be more beautiful
than heaven because immortal soul comes back ..... transmigration of the
soul.
If you make something dirty, it should be cleaned. If you hurt something, it
must be recovered. You should not hunt plants and animals more than
necessary. You should not take all. Because you come back this world again
after death.
Thanks for listing this Ron, I know it is a little long.
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au