LL-L "Accents" 2005.02.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 20 20:40:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.FEB.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
   lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Accents" [E]

A friend was telling me recently that call centres in the UK like to
employ people with Irish accents because they're more effective than
British ones for calming down frustrated clients.

Does this really happen? Does it really work? Which other accents of
English and other Lowlands Languages are considered to have a calming
effect?

What features in an accent cause them to have a soothing effect? What
other effects are obtained through other accents?

Is this haphazard or is there a reason why such accents arise? For
example, is there something in historical Irish culture that necessitated
developing soothing tones when dealing with people in general, such as
lawlessness?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Accents

Thanks, Sandy.  I've heard the same story before and have wondered about
it and similar stories for the longest time.

I'm often wondering if it's less about the actual "accents" but about
whatever may be associated with them.

For instance, according to supposed surveys in Germany, the German
dialects of the state of Saxony came out last in popularity.  This could
have something to do with the "unusual" sounds I mentioned recently, but
it also seems to have something to do with these "accents" having been
common among top officials and politicians of East Germany (including
Walter Ulbricht).  Some people have told me that it was this association
that influenced them.

Also, in probably several languages, some accents associated with "down
home" but not in the "ignorant" range seem to make people feel at ease.
They associate them with "friendly" and "non-threatening," while "very
educated" and "upper-class" accents tend to immitate them.  My landlady in
London used to tell me that she felt ill at ease when talking with people
with "posh accents," even on the phone.  Perhaps an Irish "accent" is
considered "friendly and non-threatening."

Just guessing ...