LL-L "Accents" 2005.02.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 25 16:34:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Accents" 2005.02.24 (06) [E]

Mark, if your old friend and his daughter didn't have all those  g/ch [x]
sounds in their Dutch, they must have come from the South, probably from
Brabant. In the Dutch of the Southern provinces (Netherlands) Noord-
Brabant and Limburg, half of Gelderland and of Belgium, g and ch are
pronounced very palatal, ch like the German ich-laut and g as a voiced
variety of that sound; I don't know the SAMPA spellings for that.
Not only in the dialects of these areas, but also when people speak
Standard Dutch. That makes them sound a lot softer.
In the other Southern (South Western) varieties of Zeeland (NL) and
Flanders (Belgium), the g/ch have become h: hoed [hut] = D. goed
[xut]  'good', heven ["he:v=n] = D. geven ["xe:iv@] 'give' etc.
That sounds quite soft too.
But in Amsterdam, and the rest of Western Holland, these reibelauts are
very present.

Interesting fact: Frisian (spoken in the Netherlands) does pronounce
g just like in German or English (hard g), or most other languages.
It has ch [x] as well in most cases where Dutch and German do, but
ch isn't used half as often as g in our languages.

The Low Saxon dialects in the Netherlands mostly distinguish g [G] and
ch [x], where g [G] is pronounced really voiced, which sounds a lot softer
too. In Standard or Western Dutch, g and ch are both devoiced to [x].

By the way, I think that Modern Israeli Hebrew (Ivrit) has even more of
these ch's than Dutch. When I hear Sharon speaking it sounds very
disgusting to me, but maybe that has to do a lot with the person too...

Ingmar Roerdinkholder