LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 25 21:39:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: Idiomatica and verbs

Ben Bloomgren sends this msg. “Hello, all, I was wondering about the English
concept of needing to do something. Do the other Lowlands languages have
such a concept, or do they relegate themselves to things like "Must and
ought?"

In Dutch “to need” is translated as “ nodig hebben” ( to have a need for ).
It uses a form like the French “avoir besoin de …..”

 “Ik moet dat nodig doen” adds some urgency to the normal “Ik moet dat doen”
which translates as “I have to do that”.

“Ik moest dat doen” ( past tense of moet ) confers some moral obligation,
while “Je moest dat eigenlijk doen” is downright passive aggressive. ( a
whiney ought )

There are some nouns like “de benodigdheden” which can be translated as “the
necessities” f.i. “de reisbenodigdheden” are the things that are in your
travel kit. ( which is called  “ de reisnecessaire” )

Finally there is the adjective “benodigd”, a real bookshelf word, which
could be translated as “needed” describing the need to acquire something, as
in “Ik ging naar de kruidenier om de benodigde levensmiddelen te kopen voor
onze reis.”  I went to the grocers to buy the needed vittles for our trip”
( Nobody speaks that way any longer )

It seems to me that the French construct gets in the way of the Germanic
thought, as is often the case in Dutch when you want to use “big words”. I
hope this helps….. Jacqueline