LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 25 23:30:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.25 (03) [E]

Yes, as Jacqueline explained Dutch 'iets nodig hebben' means 'to need
sth'. What Ben asked "needing to do something" is generally just
translated with the verb 'moeten' in Dutch. Ik moet dan doen = I need to
do that; Je moet nieuwe kleren kopen = you need to buy some new clothes.
That's not very interesting, I guess, same as English 'must'.
But what is kind of special in Dutch, is that there is a special negative
verb 'hoeven te' for 'not needing to do something', and it can only be
used together with 'niet/geen' =not/no:

ik moet dat doen            - I have to do that
ik hoef dat niet te doen    - I don't have to do that

je moet nieuwe kleren kopen - you need to buy some new clothes
je hoeft geen nieuwe kleren te kopen - you don't need to buy ...

wij moeten boos zijn op haar- we have to be angry with her
wij hoeven niet boos te zijn op haar - we don't have to be angry with her

btw, now I realize 'hoeven te' can be used with 'maar' only/just too:

hij hoeft het maar te vragen en ik help hem - he just has to ask and I'll
help him

but, it is NOT possible to say, e.g:

*ik hoef te gaan slapen     - I have to go to sleep
*hij hoeft harder te werken - he should work harder

as we can see, 'hoeven te' is translated many a time with 'have to', and
the two look quite alike too. But 'have' in Dutch is 'hebben', and the
construction 'hebben te' appears too:

Je hebt naar mij te luisteren! you have to listen to me! (order)
Dat heeft ie maar te doen.     he simply must do that! (obligation)

Ingmar Roerdinkholder

>From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
>Subject: Idiomatica and verbs
>>Ben Bloomgren sends this msg. “Hello, all, I was wondering about the
English
>concept of needing to do something. Do the other Lowlands languages have
>such a concept, or do they relegate themselves to things like "Must and
>ought?"
>>In Dutch “to need” is translated as “ nodig hebben” ( to have a need
for ).
>It uses a form like the French “avoir besoin de …..”
>> “Ik moet dat nodig doen” adds some urgency to the normal “Ik moet dat
doen”
>which translates as “I have to do that”.
>>“Ik moest dat doen” ( past tense of moet ) confers some moral obligation,
>while “Je moest dat eigenlijk doen” is downright passive aggressive. ( a
>whiney ought )
>>There are some nouns like “de benodigdheden” which can be translated
as “the
>necessities” f.i. “de reisbenodigdheden” are the things that are in your
>travel kit. ( which is called  “ de reisnecessaire” )
>>Finally there is the adjective “benodigd”, a real bookshelf word, which
>could be translated as “needed” describing the need to acquire something,
as>in “Ik ging naar de kruidenier om de benodigde levensmiddelen te kopen
voor>onze reis.”  I went to the grocers to buy the needed vittles for our
trip”>( Nobody speaks that way any longer )