LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.01.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 1 18:50:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JAN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Today I am coming to you from Oakland, California, to wish you and yours
all the very best for the year 2005 and to thank you for your support
and loyalty in 2004.  I would also like to thank the Lowlands-L team as
well as all contributers to the anniversary project for the work they
have done so far.

The year 2004 has had more than its fair share of manmade and natural
disasters.  We can only hope that 2005 will be a better one.

On behalf of the entire List I am sending best wishes to our friends in
Southern and Southeastern Asia, specifically in India, Sri Lanka, the
Maldives, Bangladesh, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, if I
remember correctly.  I very much hope that you and your loved ones have
not been directly affected by the catastrophe that befell the coasts of
your region.

Anyone who wishes to leave the List or to envoke any other sort of
function must send the appropriate commands to the server address:
<LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>, not to me nor to the
administrative address.  If you wish to have mail delivery paused,
please write to me, giving start and end dates, and I will do the rest.

If you wish to help us with the anniversary project, please read the
appended repeated message below.

With best wishes and many thanks,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder and Administrator, Lowlands-L

Let me remind you of our upcoming 10th anniversary (April/May 2005) and
the anniversary project we are putting together: a collection of
translations of a Lowlands Saxon (Low German) folktale in various
Lowlands language varieties (*any* varieties) and other languages, both
reading and for listening. You will find the raw material here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html . But we will
present this elsewhere, jazzed up, and with sound. It’s going to be
really terrific.

Some subscribers have already contributed to this. Thanks to all of
them. Contribution recognition awards will be handed out later.

More is needed, folks! Besides translations and sound recordings, we
need subscribers' brief (1-3 paragraph) introductions, preferably with
pictures, but contributions without pictures will be gladly received
too. Just introduce yourselves, say where (in general) you live and
originally come from, what sorts of interests you have, and what your
experiences and/or first impressions you have as relates to Lowlands-L.
We want to show folks out there the diversity of membership. We do not
want to impress them with great names and achievements, just show them
that virtually anyone at any level of knowledge and experience and from
any part of the world is welcome to join us and is likely to gain
something from it. If you are new to the List, by all means, introduce
yourselves and tell us what you hope to get out of it and what your
experiences have been so far. You may do so in any language you like, do
not need to write in English or in another Lowlands language. If you do
it bilingually, that would be great.

If you want to contribute introductions or translations, please send
them to me (sassisch at yahoo.com), and I will pass them on to Mathieu van
Woerkom, our webmaster who is designing a very nice new site for the
occasion. We are not concerned about duplication. If there is already a
translation in your language, please send us yours anyway. No two people
tell a story exactly alike, nor do they have exactly the same
pronunciation. The main thing is that your write and speak in a
*natural* way. If you want to contribute sound recordings, please get in
touch with Henry Pijffers (henry.pijffers at saxnot.com) who will also be
happy to give you technical advice and instructions.