LL-L "Delectables" 2005.01.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 5 00:27:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JANL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Rikus Kiers" <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: Recepy translation jaorskok'n, knieperties, iezerkoek'n

Dear Pat,

For 50 pieces
250 grams of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt. Notice that this is a dutch recepy with a dutch
teaspoon, which is much smaller than english, french, german or american
teaspoons. So it is only a wee little salt
200 grams brown beet-root sugar
120 grams butter. do not use margarine
one package of vanillesugar
2 small eggs

You need a special waffle iron for thin waffles otherwise the cookies are
to thick to roll or fold. And they will not taste very well either.

Sift the flour, brown sugar and the vanille sugar above a bowl. Add eggs
and butter and knead with cool hands to dough. Leave it for 11/2 hour to
rest.
Make small balls with both hands.
Heat the waffle iron and put some butter on it to oil it.
Put the balls in the middle of the iron and close it strong. Knijpen=
kniepen(drents)= to pinch or squeeze
Cut the dough which comes besides the iron. Each "KNIEPERTIEN" needs 2
minutes to get light brown. Roll it around the handle of a rolling pin
immediately while it is still hot and soft.
Cool it on a roasting-grate(?)I do not know how to translate the word
Rooster in english!

Preparation: 40 minutes
Waiting 11/2 hour
Baking less than 2 hours

My mother used to make 3 kinds:
1. rolls, like I described
2. folding double 2 times, while still hot and soft. You get 1/4 of a circle
3. just flat as a whole when it comes out of the waffle-iron.

I still have a waffle -iron from times when there was no electricity yet.
They put the waffle- iron with long handles in the open fire.
I never used it myself
The days before New year were always a feast, when I was a small boy.
I used to help my mother with rolling the balls and rolling or folding the
knieperties.

I hope my translation is not to poor.
I thought I could speak and write English fluently.
But I had to look up a lot of words related to baking in my dictionary.
Friendly greeting you,

Rikus Kiers

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks, Rikus!

> I hope my translation is not to poor.
> I thought I could speak and write English fluently.
> But I had to look up a lot of words related to baking
> in my dictionary.

Try not to be so hard on yourself.  You did fine.

> Cool it on a roasting-grate(?)I do not know how to translate
> the word Rooster in english!

"Cooling-rack," I suppose (even though many people use a contraption that
allows you to grill, roast or toast as well).

Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron
(still in unusually cool and wet Oakland, California, grateful to Mathieu
van Woerkom for having manned the steering wheel for several days)