LL-L "Delectables" 2005.01.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 5 19:33:27 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at sunflower.com>
Subject: Holidays

Heinrich,
Your recipe reminds me very much of a small, very hard, hazel nut sized
cookie common to Russian Low-German Mennonites which we call "Päpanätje"
peppernuts.  The best are so hard that if you bite into them, you most
certainly will lose a filling!  So it's a good idea to suck on them a
while, savoring the anise and cinnamon flavors while they soften up.  Or,
some folks like to pop two or three into their mouths, and take a sip of
hot coffee or tea.  It flavors the beverages nicely and softens up the
cookie all at the same time.
Best
Jim Krause

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Dear Jim, Lowlanders,

In Germany we know those "pepper nuts" quite well.  They are called
_Pfeffernüsse_ (sg. _Pfeffernuss_) in German and _peper-noet_ (sg.
_peper-noot_) in Low Saxon.

I assume that "peper" – once a very exotic and expensive spice –
originally stood for exotic spices in general, as also in G
_Pfefferkuchen_, LS _peper-kouken_ ("pepper cake") 'gingerbread'.

As far as I know, these "pepper nuts" are made from gingerbread.  The ones
I know seem to be a bit larger than the ones you know.  They tend to be
the size of a US quarter.  This may well be due to the "biggification" of
everything, especially edibles, in the wake of commercialization.