LL-L "Language loyalty" 2005.01.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 5 19:39:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JAN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "marco" <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.01.04 (03) [E]

Hi Denis,

On the positive side: I worked together with dr. Hugo Ryckeboer (from
Izenberge, WVL) and lots of other people from the Ghent University quite a
few times and I can assure you that the germanic dialect of Dunkirk was in
fact spoken well into the 20th century. I've heard recordings of the
language (as spoken in suburbs like Pt & Gd Synthe) made as late as the
1970s. In fact, the editors of the Dictionary of Flemish Dialects (Woorden
boek van de Vlaamse Dialecten, WVD, see
http://fuzzy.arts.kuleuven.ac.be/rewo/) still have informants in certain
Dunkirk suburbs.

Apart from that, I think we have a different idea about the extinction of
languages. I believe a language is extinct only when there is not one
single soul left who knows, speaks or writes it and there is no way of
reviving the language. I think Cornish, that has been "extinct" for about
two centuries but now is a spoken language again, is a good example to
illustrate my opinion. So as long as there are native or second (or third,
etc.) language speakers left, as long as people write & sing in the
language, as long as (some) young people still learn the language and
people from within and outside the region can still learn the language, I
do not believe extinction of French Flemish in my definition is near. If
you find that extinction means a disappearance of the language from
everyday use, then French Flemish is already almost dead. Talking about
the young people learning the language, I have met quite a few throughout
French Flanders over the years.
And that was not only in or around the infamous Flemish pubs there (some of
which being a bit dubious in terms of the political activities and views of
their owners and frequenters). Not only were they learning and practising
the language (some doing quite well, others having a very heavy French
accent), more importantly they plan to learn the language to their future
children!

Denis, I know about the language disappearing from Clairmarais and quite a
few other villages (especially at the southeastern side of French
Flanders), I know the real, original, germanic city dialect of Dunkirk is
not a spoken language anymore, I know that 80% of the people you speak
with in French Flanders cannot speak the language or do not even have a
clue where you're talking about, I know there might not be one single
schoolkid left in the whole of French Flanders that speaks the language.
But still I think differently about language survival. Because recent
history has shown us quite a few examples that when the last native
speaker dies, the language does not have to be declared dead yet. When
there are people who do not want it dead, it will not die as such.

I am curious what our friend from Boeschèpe has to say about this :-)

Regards,

Marco [Evenhuis]