LL-L "Resources" 2005.01.05 (03) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 5 19:53:08 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JAN.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Below please find a copy of correspondence that may be of interest to many
of you.

***

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:08:21 -0800 (PST)
From: "R. F. Hahn" <sassisch at yahoo.com>
To: "Shoshannah Holdom" <Shoshannah.Holdom at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Humbul Humanities Hub

--- Shoshannah Holdom <Shoshannah.Holdom at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Dear Mr Hahn,
>
> I am writing to tell you that your excellent website/discussion list has
> recently been added to Humbul Humanities Hub. You may access the Humbul
> description of your website by following this link:
> http://www.humbul.ac.uk/output/full3.php?id=13762
>
> As you may know, Humbul (http://www.humbul.ac.uk/) is a catalogue of
> online
> resources for learning, teaching and research in the humanities. A free
> public service based at the University of Oxford, and part of the
> Resource
> Discovery Network, http://www.rdn.ac.uk/, we discover, evaluate and
> catalogue resources in order to facilitate access to the wealth of
> material
> available online.
>
> I hope you will find the Humbul record to be an accurate reflection of
> your
> site: I would welcome any comments you may have and will happily edit
> the
> metadata according to your suggestions. I have catalogued Lowlands-L
> under
> Linguistics at present, but I would be interested to know if you think
> other
> subject headings should be ascribed to the record. I'm afraid we do have
> work within a controlled vocabulary, and I wonder whether headings such
> as
> English or German Studies would be appropriate here.
>
> I am responsible for the Modern Languages collections at Humbul and am
> keen
> to ensure that languages, literary, cultural and area studies are
> well-represented. Please do let me know if you are aware of other
> valuable
> online resources which you think deserve to be catalogued. You may do
> this
> via email, or via Humbul's 'Public submissions' (see
> http://www.humbul.ac.uk/submit/ for further details).
>
> Humbul offers various other services, such as email alerts to inform you
> of
> new resources in your field, and RSS feeds to import new Humbul records
> your site. Please see http://www.humbul.ac.uk/about/call.html to find
> out
> more about what Humbul can offer, and to join our lists.
>
> If you have any queries about Humbul in general, or about the record of
> your
> site, please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
> If you would like to include a link to Humbul, information on how to do
> so
> can be found here: http://www.humbul.ac.uk/about/link.html
>
> I hope Humbul will assist in the promotion of your site to the
> Linguistics
> community here in the UK.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Shoshannah Holdom
>
> Dr Shoshannah Holdom
> Content Editor (Modern Languages)
> Humbul Humanities Hub
> [...]

Dear Dr. Holdom,

Thank you very much for adding our site to Humbul Humanities Hub and for
informing us about it as well as giving us an opportunity to suggest
corrections and additions.  Although your description is very well done
and to the point, please allow me to suggest changing it as follows:

***
Lowlands-L is an email discussion list with an excellent supporting web
site for anyone with an interest in the languages and cultures of the
Lowlands. Lowlands languages are those Germanic languages developed in the
areas next to the North and Baltic Seas and include: Dutch;
Zeelandic/Western Flemish; Frisian; Limburgish; and Low Saxon.

The site's scope also includes Afrikaans; pidgins and creoles; and English
and Scots. Rather than focus on one particular language or culture, the
discussion list considers as a group the linguistic and cultural varieties
of the languages listed above. Lowlands-L considers all linguistic and
cultural varieties worthy of equal respect and importance, irrespective of
their conventionally and popularly perceived levels of importance.
Minority language assertion and promotion are supported wherever possible.
Contacts with other languages are also discussed, such as German, Yiddish,
Scandinavian, Romance, Celtic, Baltic, Slavonic and non-European
varieties.

Archives of list postings dating from May 1999 are freely available online
but registration is required in order to post to the list. Earlier
archives, going back to April 1995, may be made available sometime in the
future.

The site features various other resources of interest, including a
detailed map of the Lowlands region and introductions to all the Lowlands
language varieties. These introductions include a brief history, overview
of status and textual samples. Also available is a spreadsheet of 100
words in 19 different Lowlandic varieties, and an extremely comprehensive
collection of links to Web resources relevant for study of each of the
Lowlands languages. Bibliographies of print materials are also provided.
The whole site is equally navigable in a variety of languages, and
represents a crucial online resource for anyone working on or interested
in Lowlands languages. In celebration of the list's tenth anniversary,
numerous translations of a Low Saxon folktale, accompanied by sound files
and phonetic transcriptions, is scheduled to be unveiled in April or May
of 2005.
***

Further edits:

(1) Languages : Any, preferably Lowlands languages, predominantly English

(2) Intended Audience : Anyone interested; suitable for lay persons,
secondary school pupils, undergraduates, postgraduates and faculty

(3) Responsibility:  Chief Editor : Hahn, Reinhard F; Editor/Webmaster:
van Woerkom, Mathieu; Editor : Fleming, Sandy

(4) Humbul Subjects :  American Studies; Australasian Studies; English
Studies; Humanities; Linguistics; Modern Languages; Other European Studies

Again, thank you for including us.

Congratulations to you and your colleagues on an excellent resource
project, and best wishes for 2005 and beyond,

Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net
sassisch at yahoo.com, lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Dear Lowlanders,

Below please find a copy of an article in the German newspaper _Kieler
Nachrichten_ (05.01.2005, http://www.kn-online.de/news/archiv/?id=1567298)
about promotion and resource creation of Frisian varieties of Germany,
including radio and TV as well as a film series.

***

Filme kämpfen für Friesisch

"Freunde, lasst uns bewahren unsere föhringer Sprache!" heißt es im Lied
des Friesen Lorenz Conrad Peters von der Insel Föhr. Der Dichter und
Studienrat, der in der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts seine Heimat in
Liedern besang, wird erhört: Seit 1999 kümmert sich der Verein "ferian för
en nuurdfresk radio" (ffnr) um nordfriesische Sendeplätze in den
elektronischen Medien. In seinem Auftrag bringt das Medienbüro Riecken in
kleinen Filmen friesische Belange zur Sprache. Sein Dokumentarfilm Lorenz
Conrad Peters – En Fering för Nuurdfresklun (Ein Föhrer für Nordfriesland)
wurde sogar auf den Husumer Filmtagen präsentiert. Friesisch im Kino – das
war ein "wichtiges Ereignis für die friesische Bewegung", sagt Claas
Riecken.

Plattdeutsch verstehen viele – aber friesisch? Beides ist miteinander nur
fern verwandt. Friesisch gehört wie Englisch, Niederländisch, Hoch- und
Niederdeutsch zur westgermanischen Sprachgruppe, ist selbst verzweigt in
seine vielen regionalen Zweige wie Fering (auf Föhr) oder Sölring (auf
Sylt). Geschätzt 10000 sprechen in Schleswig-Holstein diese eigenständige
Sprache, die immer leiser zu werden schien und in der Europäischen Charta
der Regionalsprachen unter Artenschutz gestellt wurde.

"Die friesische Sprache ist bedroht", sagt Sprachwissenschaftler Alastair
Walker. Dass man sie nun wieder öfter hört, liegt an den Aktivitäten des
ffnr im Verein mit dem Medienbüro Riecken. Seit Sommer 2003 ermöglichen
ihnen Bundesförderungen, in Kooperation mit Radiosendern und dem Offenen
Kanal Flensburg Höhr- und Fernrohre ins Friesische zu öffnen. Ziel ist ein
eigener nordfriesischer Radiosender.

Neun Filme sind bereits fertig. Durch solche Fenster schaut man zum
Beispiel nach Sylt, wo in Kindergärten das Sölring, das Sylter Friesisch,
gesprochen wird. Kinder mögen Sölring. "Ik mai Sölring", skandieren sie
fließend in Rieckens Dokumentarfilm. Friesisch im Aufwind: Im Interview
zeigt sich Landesmutter Heide Simonis optimistisch, dass sich die
Minderheitensprachen aus dem Schattendasein des Hochdeutschen ins Licht
setzen. Populäre Friesen melden sich zu Wort. Der gebürtige Amrumer und
Filmprofessor Hark Bohm sah sich nach erklärtermaßen mehrfacher Sichtung
des Films Ik mai Sölring zu einem flankierenden Empfehlungsschreiben
bemüßigt und schwärmt, der Film transportiere "vorbildlich die mögliche
Renaissance der friesischen Sprache."

Die Besinnung auf Tradition und Herkunft scheint dabei weniger auf
folkloristische Nostalgie aus zu sein, sondern dem Bekenntnis zu einer
kulturell vielfältigen, polyphonen Gemeinschaft zu entspringen. Fern vom
misstrauischen Rückzug ins regionale Schneckenhaus geben sich die
Produktionen von Claas Riecken als weltoffene Werbefilme für das
Friesische, wo für das Neben- und Miteinander geworben wird. Schon steht
auf dem Kampener Ortsschild auch Kaamp. Und das Land akzeptiert auch
Dokumente, die in Friesisch geschrieben sind.

Von Gerald Koll