LL-L "Delectables" 2005.01.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 6 22:19:17 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUL.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Ruth & Mark Dreyer" <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.01.04 (04) [E]

Beste Rikus Kiers, Pat, Ron & All.

What delicious string to come back to! (I have just come back from a rather
busy Christmas with my father on the farm)

> For 50 pieces
> 250 grams of flour
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Notice that this is a dutch recepy with a dutch
> teaspoon, which is much smaller than english, french, german or american
> teaspoons. So it is only a wee little salt
> 200 grams brown beet-root sugar
> 120 grams butter. do not use margarine
> one package of vanillesugar
> 2 small eggs
>
> You need a special waffle iron for thin waffles otherwise the cookies are
> to thick to roll or fold. And they will not taste very well either.
>
> Sift the flour, brown sugar and the vanille sugar above a bowl. Add eggs
> and butter and knead with cool hands to dough. Leave it for 11/2 hour to
> rest.
> Make small balls with both hands.
> Heat the waffle iron and put some butter on it to oil it.
> Put the balls in the middle of the iron and close it strong. Knijpen=
> kniepen(drents)= to pinch or squeeze
> Cut the dough which comes besides the iron. Each "KNIEPERTIEN" needs 2
> minutes to get light brown. Roll it around the handle of a rolling pin
> immediately while it is still hot and soft.
> Cool it on a roasting-grate(?)I do not know how to translate the word
> Rooster in english!
>
> Preparation: 40 minutes
> Waiting 11/2 hour
> Baking less than 2 hours
>
> My mother used to make 3 kinds:
> 1. rolls, like I described
> 2. folding double 2 times, while still hot and soft. You get 1/4 of a
circle
> 3. just flat as a whole when it comes out of the waffle-iron.
>
> I still have a waffle -iron from times when there was no electricity yet.
> They put the waffle- iron with long handles in the open fire.
> I never used it myself
> The days before New year were always a feast, when I was a small boy.
> I used to help my mother with rolling the balls and rolling or folding the
> knieperties.

I second our Ron's comments about your English, but I rather suspect most of
us would more or less have followed this in your own tongue. Thanks anyway,
for your diligence & skill. Technical language always needs research, often
even for native speakers.

I have some observations to make. Shouldn't there be, in the recipe, a hefty
tot of strong, sweet table-wine? We use Hanepoot, a fortified wine with a
fearsome kick, that makes crystals of sugar at the least excuse.

We call these cookies oblietjies, & the instrument an oblietjieyster. They
come out of the iron soft, & the cook rolls them up on the handle of a
wooden spoon (so much narrower than a rolling pin), & leaves them to cool &
set. If you are especially good, she injects the inside of each with sweet
whipped cream from a confectionary tube, but that usually takes too long, &
then the adults get in on the act.

I shouldn't call it a waffle iron, to anybody that expects a thick biscuit
with cells. Our oblitjie irons are simply two flat plates of wraught-iron
riveted in the jaws of a pair of wraught-iron tongues. Often they have a
shallow pattern beaten into it on both (inner) sides. Nearly all those we
come accross in South Africa have flags or Coats of Arms of the Confederate
States of America, or one of the Rebel States. So there is some history here
that prickles but that I know nothing about.

Locally made irons tend to be, predictably, dead-ordinary Dutch
waffle-irons.

Oblitjies have a certain notoriety in my family. My grandmother had for her
first accoutchment a brisk young Nederlands midwife. She must have been
quite new to the trade, in this country at least, for she decided (unaware,
the tale goes, how mothers in this part of the World do things), that she
had better make some oblitjies to distract the kids. She didn't take long,
but as long as she took, she missed the main event, so my mother was caught
by her father!

Groete,
Mark