LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 18 15:54:32 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais <goidel.glas at gmail.com>
Subject: Orthography

Latha math, a Lowlanders;

For as long as I can remember, I have written "no-one" rather than
what I think is more common, "no one". But usually when someone sees
that I have spelt the word like this, they point it out or make a
comment about spelling. Furthermore, though I am sure that I've seen
it before, I can't remember any specific instances. I'm certain I
didn't make up this way of spelling it, but what is its frequency?
Does anyone else spell the word like this? Anything you have to say
about this, Lowlanders, is appreciated.

Beannachdan!
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Latha math, a Uilleam!

<No-one> is the way I first was taught to write it.  I've always assumed it
separating the two "o"s (since <oo> represents a single vowel).

This make a lot of sense, since these pronouns are morphophonologically
treated as compounds, which is apparent in stress assignment: sómeone,
ányone, éveryone, nó-one (analogous to úndercoat, súnshine, óverdrive,
wóódchuck, gócart, etc., and also adverbs like ánytime, sómetimes, sómeday
and éverywhere).  Otherwise, primary stress would have to be on the second
part: *some óne, *any óne, *every óne, *no óne (analogous to any tíme, some
tímes, some dáy, no wáy, etc.).

So, as far as I am concerned, "no-one" makes more sence, and I've seen it
plenty of times.