LL-L "Language use" 2005.01.21 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 21 16:51:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Dear Lowlanders,

This posting--amounting to questions--is in regards to colonial language
usage and its possibly lasting influences.

The other day I had dinner with a friend who is of mixed Gujarati and
Scottish descent (with Parsi/Zoroastrian tradition in the family) and who
specializes in Asian history.  He told me about noticeable Scottish presence
in the "Raj" (the colonial outpost of the British Empire in Southern Asia).
Among other things, he mentioned that Robert Burns' family had strong links
with Asian colonies, for instance that his sons James Glencairn Burns and
William Nicol Burns where military men in India, that his grandson Robert
Burns III was murdered by pirates in Borneo, and that other relatives were
involved in colonial India, also in Scottish Freemasonry in India (the poet
himself having been a freemason).

This brings me to the question as to whether or not there is any indication
of the extent of Scots language use in British colonies.

I am furthermore interested to know if Dutch/Flemish played any role at all
in Belgium's African colonies or if there was no place for it besides
French. If it did play a role, was it ever used by locals?

Thanks in advance.