LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.21 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 21 16:54:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike Morgan <Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.20 (03) [E]

As for the "no one" >> "no-one" >>>>>> "noone" question, I have only an
impressionistic idea of relative (rather than exact) frequencies (to wit,
the order I gave them in), and this seems to be consistent on both sides of
the Atlantic (I happen to be from the Western side), and on both sides of
the Pacific (I happen to live on the Western side).

But it is a matter which divides families. For example, in my family, my
wife, who is from the neither side of the Pacific but the middle and who I
always trust to proofread my papers, is forever annoyed by MY preferred
spelling (as opposed to the one I was taught): "noone". So she "corrects"
it, and I (being a stubborn Celt) change it back. And so it goes. (In her
defense, she IS a much better speller than me ... who "misspelled" his own
given name (the teacher ... and at the time the test-taker as well ... being
unenlightened as to the Irish spelling) on a third grade spelling test ...
and duly failed the test.)

Perhaps I write "noone" precisely BECAUSE it irks sticklers for a system
that makes absolutely no sense. (Okay, as a historical linguist, it DOES
make sense, but not to your average Joe ... or Mihangel.)

Mike

Dr. Michael (Micheal) Morgan
Kobe City University of Foreign Studies
Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp

P.S. I also use the "hideous" spelling "email". (And British placing of
punctuation outside of quotation marks.)