LL-L "Language treatment" 2005.01.21 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 22 03:36:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: GoodbyColumbus at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.21 (05) [E]

In a message dated 1/21/2005 4:32:17 PM Central Standard Time,
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net writes:
  Reading the Australian papers online I see "telco" (a sort of
  contraction / abbreviation / garbling of "telecommunications company", I
  think) imported from the United States, and I have seen similar
  abbreviations such as "mindef" and "singov" (for "Ministry of Defence" and
  Singaporean Government) in Singaporean English and "legco" (for
"Legislative
  Council") in Hong Kong English.
I can't say I've ever heard any of the above, but they do remind me somewhat
of Newspeak.

Brad Conatser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language treatment

Hi, Brad!

It was our good and linguistically somewhat irritable friend Críostóir Ó
Ciardha who wrote what you quoted.

Hey, I understand how our Críostóir feels, though, happily I myself seem to
be past that phase now, have lightened up, if for no other reason than that
I realized there are too many battles for one short lifetime, besides the
inevitability of successive waves of follies, misspellings and unwieldy
abbreviations being pretty darn harmless compared with some other stuff.

P.S.: And some linguistic advice for the wise:

* Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly
superfluous.
* Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
* The passive voice is to be avoided.
* Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
* It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
* Avoid clichés like the plague.
* Comparisons are as bad as clichés.
* Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
* Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
* Be more or less specific.
* Never utilize big words when diminutive ones would suffice.
* Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
* Use words befittingly, irregardless of how others avail them.
* Understatement is always the absolutely superior way of putting forth
earth-shaking ideas.
* Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
* Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
* Who needs rhetorical questions?
* Alwayz uze yor wurd processir's spellchick.
* And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.