LL-L "Language treatment" 2005.01.22 (03) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 23 03:19:20 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JAN.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.21 (05) [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.01.21 (02) [E]
>
> I find many other usages hideous, too, so I might as well get them all out
> in one go. Reading the Australian papers online I see "telco" (a sort of
> contraction / abbreviation / garbling of "telecommunications company", I
> think) imported from the United States, and I have seen similar
> abbreviations such as "mindef" and "singov" (for "Ministry of Defence" and
> Singaporean Government) in Singaporean English and "legco" (for
> "Legislative
> Council") in Hong Kong English.

I think these shortenings are called "portmanteau words".  These sorts of
words are quite common in Russian: "komsomol" for "kommunisticheskiy sovet
molodezhi" ("communist youth league"); "MinFin" for "Ministerstvo Finansov"
(Ministry of Finance").  They are also fairly common in American government
circles: SECDEF for Secretary of Defense; NAVSECGRUACT for Naval Security
Group Activity, etc. (they seem to be really popular in the US Navy).  I've
also seen things like "telco" in the US.  And of course they are a common
way of forming the names of companies (e.g., Qualcomm) and other
organizations (e.g., Interpol).

Kevin Caldwell