LL-L "Language treatment" 2005.01.23 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 23 19:17:37 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language treatment" [E]

> From: Mike Morgan <Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>
> Subject: LL-L "Language treatment" 2005.01.22 (03) [E]
>
> In JSL, if you ASK what the sign is for car, you're always told
> "hands-on-steering-wheel" (clearly iconic, and not a case of borrowing),
> but
> if you watch sign discourse, you will see, in addition to that sign,
> frequent use of a compound: "hands-on-steering -wheel" +
> "vehicle-classifier" ... and
> in synatctical positions where it is clear that the vehicle-classfier  is
> NOT being used as the incorporated subject of a verb.

We do, of course (is it an "of course"?), use a vehicle classifier in BSL as
well as the noun signs.

> potential hearing learner. BUT, when you get into the real world you soon
> learn (or should; many learners of JSL never do) that there are MANY
> different JSLs: not only dialect variants, or age sociolects, but "hard of
> hearing JSL", and "late deafened JSL" ... and "deaf but not DEAF JSL" ...
> and "interpreter's JSL". And if you do distinguish in your mind which is
> which and which you should use in a given situation with a given person,
> you
> are not obly confused but confusing.

Ditto BSL.

> In the US I believe there are different interpreter credentials for ASL
> interpreting, Sign ENglish interpretting, finger-spelling interpeting,
> gesture-base interpreting ... at least I have heard to
> that effect. In Japan, as with so many things, "one size fits all". What
> about the UK?

In the UK, the main examining body for BSL (and Irish Sign Language) is
CACDP. They offer basic Deaf Awareness and suchlike courses without sign
language, then four levels of BSL or ISL, then interpreter training. At
level 3 the student has a choice of an academic course (resulting in an NVQ
certificate, which in the UK counts towards a university degree) or a
non-academic course. The academic course is the path that interpreters and
other professionals would take, while the non-academic course is tailored
for people who need to be able to communicate with deaf people as friends
and family.

So there's that structure, and people advertising jobs will choose the
qualification they feel is required for the job.

We do have Sign-Supported English interpreters but I've no idea how they get
in such a position. I've never heard of gesture-based interpreting.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle here recently when a local organisation tried
to address the interpreter-shortage problem by spending thousands of pounds
training people up to Level 1 with with a view to sending them out as
hospital interpreters. They thought that Level 1 (about a thousand signs and
very simple grammar) would be adequate. The road to hell is paved with good
intentions!

> to be "lazy" ... which often means to rely on their mother tongue (in the
> case of  hearing interpreters ... there being NO Deaf interpreters in
> Japan), and perhaps a bit too much on the newscript Japanese in the case
> of
> Deaf newscasters.

That's strange - why are there no Deaf interpreters?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/