LL-L "Etymology" 2005.01.27 (01) [E/Polish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 27 16:10:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: gochad24 at o2.pl <gochad24 at o2.pl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.01.26 (03) [LS]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: Language Varies
>
> Leeve Sellschapp,
>
> vÜÜr een Stood hevv ick wat leest in een olle Orkonn' van dat 15./16.
> Johrhunnert.
> Haar tau kriegen mit dat Diekrecht in dat Stedinger Land.
>
> Taumools hevvt se jemmer Lßßd, de taustännig  wÜÜrn fÜr de
SchlĂźsen, as
> "Slickswaren" benoomt.
> Net eben fÜfftig Joorn loter heet de sßlven Lßßd all "Slßßs-Swaren".
>
> Opp StĂźnns schriev ick jĂźst een Chronik van een MarschdĂśrp.
>
> As de Dßvel dat will: ick keek no in mien Ingeltet WÜÜrbauk un fßnn'
Ăźnner
> "slicky" de BedĂźden "trickreich, ausgefeilt, raffiniert",.
> Man- ick haar jĂźst schreeven, wat fĂśr de Marschlannen de SchlĂźsen
"vital"
> wÜÜrn, haar jem op Haugdßßtsch "raffiniert" benomt.
>
> "Schlßßs" schall jo woll van franzÜs. Orsprong ween: "clusee", villicht
ook
> Ăśller van 't Latiinsche: "cludere".
>
> Woans kann dat angohn- in een kotte Tied van 50 Joorn? Or hett dat woll
noch
> anner Orsooken, de ick ne begreepen hevv?
>
> Greutens
>
> Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm
>
> ----------
>
> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Hello Johannes,
Sorry but I do not understand the language you have wriiten that
e-mail in. I speak only English and Polish.
Could you translate it into English, please?
Hope to hera from you,
Gosia Dymnicka

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Etymology

Witaj, Gosiu!

Powitanie na liscie dyskusyjnej forum! Miło mi.

Jonny wrote in Low Saxon ("Low German"), the language of Northern Germany
and the Eastern Netherlands, formerly also one of the languages of Northern
Poland (mistakenly referred to as part of _niemiecki (język)_), a language
that influenced Kashubian (among other languages).  (Polish, on the other
hand, has borrowed words mostly from [actual] German.)  Low Saxon is the
descendant of Old Saxon, which is also one of the ancestors of English.  It
is one of the Lowlands languages.

Just to clarify this for you ... Lowlands-L is a multilingual forum.  People
may write in any language they wish, preferrably in Lowlands languages. So
you will often see postings in languages other than English. There is a mild
request that people add an English translation or summary for the benefit of
those who do not understand their particular language. However, this is not
a requirement, just a polite, considerate thing to do if possible. Please
also note that quite a few people on this list can read English but either
cannot write it or do not feel confident enough to write it.  However, it is
definitely fine to ask if the author or someone else could translate or
summarize, as you did.  Just don't be disappointed if they do not.

For your information, we have a language code that appears in square
brackets in the subject line. Lowlands languages are abbreviated;
non-Lowlands languages are not.  The key is in the masthead of each issue.
Here it is again:

For instance, in the subject line of this issue you can tell that the
languages used are English and Polish.  So, if you see a subject line that
signals languages other than English and Polish, and you have no intention
of learning to read those languages, you might as well not even bother to
open the message.

I hope this clarified things for you.

It is nice to have you on board.

Cześć!
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

P.S.: By the way, you need to switch your email encoding mode to
Unicode-UTF8 to be able to read all characters in our issues. Yours was set
to Central European.