LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.01.28 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 28 18:29:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JAN.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.01.28 (01) [E/LS]

Helga wrote: "It is in particular East Berlin which has retained its own
identity"

Out of curiosity about how political divisions can affect language, is there
any residual effect that being divided politically for roughly 40 years has
or had on the language(s) spoken in the West and/or East Germany?  From what
Helga said it seems that the Low Saxon language may have fared better, i.e.,
be held in higher regard, in what used to be East Germany.  Is that a fair
inference I can make?

Mark Brooks

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Mark!

Great to hear from you again.

Here's to let you know that the name is Helge (Tietz), not Helga.  Helge is
a North European name for *males*.*

(* It's related to Ukrainian Oleh Олег / Russian Олег Oleg, the masculine
counter part of Helga =  Ukrainian Ольга Ol'ha / Russian Ольга Ol'ga, which
apparently entered these languages from Old Swedish during Eastern Viking
reign.)

I'm just clarifying this because the name Helge is not generally known among
non-Europeans, and I can see that most of them would assume it's a woman's
name.

No need to feel embarrassed, though.  I remember the time when I thought
that our loyal friends Floor van Lamoen and Sandy Fleming were women.  They
were good enough to reveal their actual sex -- well, let's rather say
gender -- to the List before this could take on a life of its own.  However,
it's not as though members' genders are of great relevance, though.

Have a great weekend, Mark and everyone!